Getting from Termini to Via Di San Giuseppe Calasanzio, 1, Roma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am staying at the Santa Giuliana Convent and will be arriving on a Sunday. We need to get to this address from the Termini station.

We don't mind walking. I checked the distance and it is a little over a mile and a half from the Termini to this address, but I was wondering if there is a cheap bus or metro line we could hop on that would put us closer. I did the math from the Colosseo stop, but it seemed further?

Any help would be great! Oh, by the way, we will have luggage, but will only have rolling bags so we can get around with them very well.

Thanks so much,

Eric
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM

The 64 bus (the pickpoceket special, so be careful) that goes from Termini to St. Peter's goes along the Corso Vittorio Emanuele; Via Calasanzio is just off the Corso. Ask the bus driver which stop to get off at; it could be Largo di Torre Argentina or the one after it.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Eric, I've been researching the same thing and recommend you take a look at the standby shuttle through airportconnection.it. It's 20 euro per person. I'm assuming there are two of you, so if you take the train to termini and then a taxi to the convent, you'll pay about 30 euro. It'd be worth it to me to pay the extra 10 euro not to have to deal with Termini and a taxi. If there are more than two travelers, take a look at the other options offered through Airport Connection or through limoservicerome.com. Both are recommended on the Europe board.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Take the bus or a taxi. A map doesn't show you the hills that are along the way, which might make strolling with the bags less fun. I think a taxi would cost about 10 euro at most.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Correction to the above: You get on the bus at the back (with a prebought ticket), which you validate in the machine. The bus driver is at the front.

So it's much easier just to ask the passengers around you where to get off for the church of Sant'Andrea della Valle, which is more likely to be familiar to them than the tiny Via Calasanzio.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone!

Betsy: thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't heard of this before. Do you know what they mean by "standby?" Does that mean that I just wait for the next shuttle, or does that mean that if the shuttle comes, and it is all booked, we don't get on?

ellenem: I never thought of the hills! For some reason you forget about the most obvious things when thinking about this. Thanks!

Eloise: Thank you so much for your help. The bus sounds pretty simple, but it also sounds like you've done it before. Will it be simple for two first timers? How hard is it to find where the buses pick up? Is it right outside the Termini? How much can we expect to pay? Do we buy the tickets inside, or at a machine?

Thanks again everyone. These things help out a lot.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:37 AM

A mere 1-1/2 mile taxi ride from Termini to your hotel will be much less that 10E - closer to 5 Euro. Take the taxi and relax.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:44 AM

bardo--they'll each have a suitcase, so depending on whether or not the driver chooses to charge for the luggage, the price might be higher. That's why I said 10 euro, figuring it would cover unforeseen costs. Still probably won't be as high as 10 euro.

There is a large piazza with many buses departing just in front of Termini. You can buy tickets at a ticket booth near the bus stops or from most newstands. For first timers, this might be a little tricky.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:48 AM

I bought my public transit ticket in Termini at a small shop on the lower level near the metro. I don't think it's that hard for first-timers. You just have to ask for what you want, politely of course.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the further info. I think we are going to do the train-bus thing. We are pretty comfortable in cities, and it sounds like if we use common sense we will be fine with the bus tickets.

I have one more question, and I am not sure if this should be in another post but....for those who were first timers once, which I guess is everyone who isn't a native...

how essential was it to know the language when doing all of this. We found that it was difficult our first time in Paris not knowing French, but our second time we were fine because it was all familiar. Will the experience be similar in Rome?

And even if we don't NEED to learn the language, what are some Italian phrases that we SHOULD learn either way, so as to show as much courtesy as possible to the country hosting us?

Thanks again, so much.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM

The usual greetings and apologies would be useful.

My usual effort was to try to say something in Italian, and we'd either muddle through or more likely the seller would switch to English. I very much doubt you'll have trouble in any major Italian city.

If you can read Latin, as you said, then it should be easy for you to pick up a few Italian phrases (although I know it can be much more difficult to say them in real life than it is at home when practicing).
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, willtravel, that is the trouble with learning "dead" languages, or at least learning languages as written and not spoken. I am a student of ancient languages, most of which are either not spoken, or when I learn them, I learn to read them and not speak them.

So, if Italian and Latin are that similar, hopefully I will be able to at least read signs! But it is encouraging to hear that Italian isn't necessary.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:25 AM

There are various Latin inscriptions around, like on triumphal arches, and it would have been handy to have been able to read them instantly.

My personal opinion - I don't think Latin helps *that* much with Italian. But it provides some baseline. With my various desultory language studies, I could more or less read all the necessary Italian - but speaking and understanding are definitely much different.
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:23 AM

hi, just saw you are staying at Santa Guiliana Convent. I am going to Rome in July and was looking at a convent called San Giuseppe della Montagna. Have you heard of that one?? how can I find out more about Santa Guiliana Convent?
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:32 AM

how can I find out about this convent you are staying in?? I am going to Rome in July.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 09:22 PM

Our family is going to Italy in two weeks. Someone suggested staying at a convent while in Rome. I have received confirmation from two convents about availability and would like your opinion on each one ---

1. Instituto Santa Giuliana

2. CASA DI SANTA BRIGIDA

We are driving to Rome from Sorrento and also wondered where the best place to park and leave the car. I understand you cannot drive in this part of Rome.

Looking for help with which convent might be better
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 11:15 AM

The Istituto Santa Giuliana is just off the Corso Vittorio Emanuele, and you can definitely drive there; the more important question is where to park. Perhaps the nuns at Santa Giuliana can offer advice if you e-mail them.

I am almost certain that one can also drive into the Piazza Farnese to the Casa Santa Brigida, but again, one cannot park there. I'm not sure whether the nuns at Casa Santa Brigida will reply to an e-mail; they are not noted either for their linguistic abilities or their advanced public relations.

You are aware, I take it, of the considerable price difference between the two establishments. The Casa Santa Brigida's rooms all have private bathrooms, while those at Istituto Santa Giuliana do not. The Casa Santa Brigida is also said to have a very nice roof garden.

Slightly off topic: I would advise you to confirm the one or the other as soon as possible. It is inconsiderate to other travelers to hold two reservations when accommodations, particularly in convents, are at a premium.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 12:35 PM

Can't comment on Casa Santa Brigida because I have not stayed there. But I did stay at Santa Giuliana in April/May 2005. The welcome and warmth of the sisters was wonderful. The rooms were clean but basic, which is typical of convents. Each room had a sink and bidet. There were several bathrooms on each floor; some had been remodeled, others had not. The convent is on a busy corner and the traffic noise is noticeable 24/7 even with the windows closed, so I'd advise you take earplugs. If there is any way you can avoid taking a car into this (or any other) part of Rome by dropping it off before you get there?