Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting from Tallinn airport, Estonia to Saaremaa island? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-from-tallinn-airport-estonia-to-saaremaa-island-776059/)

GiuliaPiraino Mar 30th, 2009 02:22 PM

Getting from Tallinn airport, Estonia to Saaremaa island?

How long does it take to get from Tallinn airport in Estonia to Saaremaa island?
I am trying to get to Kuressaare on the island of Saaremaa from Tallin airport.

So do I understand correctly that you...
1) Take a taxi to the Tallin bus station
2) Then take the bus to Virtsu port
3) Then a 30 min ferry ride to the island?

Does anyone know how much time I should budget for this entire process from the moment I get off the plane?

Thanks!

tower Mar 30th, 2009 03:40 PM

Giulia:

I did a similar connection when Estonia was still SSR. It is approximately 150 kms from Tallin central to Virtsu. Airport to the bus station if I recall is less than 20 minutes by taxi...and the 150 kms (90 miles) should be less than two hours. The 30-minutes ferry ride, I'm not familiar with. If the ferry docks at Vijkulis, meaning it would just have to cross the narrow strait to reach Saremmaa Island..that should be no more than 10 minutes...if it docks further down the island then it could well be a 30 minute ride.
I would figure on something in the vicinity of three hours.

Stu t.

tower Mar 30th, 2009 03:43 PM

Giulia...p.s

I re-read your post...Kurresaare could very well be 30 minutes from Virtsu.....again, figure on 3+ hours.

stu

GiuliaPiraino Apr 15th, 2009 11:36 AM

Thank you very much! I will budget 5 hours to be on the safe side! I could take a plane for $21 but I'd have a layover of 5 hours at the airport, so I may as well be actively doing something! Thanks for the advice.

tower Apr 15th, 2009 08:14 PM

Happy Journey, Giulia!

stu

naglee Apr 24th, 2009 10:56 AM

I would take the airplane ride. Tallinn airport is literally 10-15 minutes away by taxi to Old Town (Vana Tallinn)- no matter the traffic. Taxis are safe and convenient- just stay away from big mercedes. A five hour layover will give you plenty of time to have a relaxing time in Tallinn and then get back for the flight to Saaremaa.

eaf2007 Mar 5th, 2010 05:20 PM

Alternatively, rent a car and drive yourself to Kuressaare. I did this last year when I was staying on Muhu but needed an electrical current converter; I had already driven from Tallinn to Muhu. The drive is beautiful and well marked. I had a good experience with Sixt car rental.

GeoffHamer Mar 6th, 2010 06:52 AM

The Estonian bus timetables are on www.bussireisid.ee
The are plenty of buses from Tallinn to Kuressaare, with a journey time of about four hours. It's a couple of hours from Tallinn to Virtsu, then a half-hour ferry crossing and around an hour on the island to Kuressaare. The ferry is a welcome break in the bus journey and a chance to get a drink and a snack.