Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from Rome to Sorrento - am I leaving myself enough time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On July 2nd I'll be traveling by myself to Italy for the first time. My flight lands in Rome 12:30 pm and I have to get through customs, get a train to Termini, and then another train to Naples at 16:27, and then yet another train to Sorrento. Is 4 hours enough time to make that 16:27 train to Naples, or could I infact make the 14:45 ?
I plan on traveling light, and I'm a pretty tough New Yorker but is there some bottleneck that I need to know about? Also, am I better off trying to buy my Naples train ticket ahead of time or will I be able to purchase and reserve seat when I get to Termini? Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:56 PM

The big deciding factor is whether you check your luggage and how long it takes to arrive at baggage claim.

When you head for the Leonardo Express, the train that goes from the airport to Roma Termini, you will know what connecting train you can make for Naples. Buy the Naples ticket at the airport station when you buy the ticket to Rome.

When you arrive at Roma Termini, it may take as much as 15 minutes or more for you to walk the length of your platform and find the platform for the Naples train. It's a big station.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:16 PM
ira

Hi buck,

It's tight, but possible, to make the 14:45. You will have no problem with the 16:27.

You can get Circumvesuviana schedules to Sorrento at http://www.vesuviana.it/orario_ol/orari.asp
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:23 PM
yk

HI BLB-

I looked at the Trenitalia site for you for July 2nd. There are more than the 2 trains you listed that is scheduled:
ES train at 14:45
IC train at 15:27
ES train at 15:45
IC train at 16:27
ES train at 16:45

You'll have plenty of options. As ellenem said, just buy your ticket at the airport station when you have a better idea of which train you can make. The IC train is slightly cheaper and takes an extra 13minutes.

Bear in mind, the Leonardo Express train only runs twice an hour and the trip is 35mins long.

For trenitalia schedules, go to:
http://www.trenitalia.com
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 06:09 AM
yk

topping for BLB