Getting from Rome airport to positano

Old May 31st, 2017, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting from Rome airport to positano

My husband and I are traveling from Rome airport to positano and we were wondering the best and fastest way to get there. We won't have a car. Thanks!
Old May 31st, 2017, 08:00 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Train from Rome Termini to Naples. Driver service from Naples to Positano.
Old May 31st, 2017, 08:47 AM

I recently posted "Travel from Rome to Sorrento and then to Venice" and received a lot of advice about the train and buying tickets from FCO to Roma Termini and then train to Naples. I think if you click on my listing (Miki2621) you can find it.

A lot of good suggestions were made. We're not buying our train tickets until we arrive, since we don't know if the flight will be delayed or how long it will take to get through passport control. We also are not taking the Circumvesuviana. After a 9+ hour plane ride, train from FCO to Roma Termini and then train to Napoli Centrale, I don't want to deal with the Circumvesuviana. After the train from Rome to Naples - I just want to get to our hotel.

FYI - The train service from FCO to Termini Roma is called the Leonardo Express (LE). I understand that you can buy your tickets for LE and for the your Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale at the same time in the Aiport's LE station.

We are not going as far a Positano - only to to Sorrento (which is on the way to Positano). We've decided to take a car from Napoli Centrale and are using

Americo Scala
Via Talagnano, 3 80067 Sorrento (NA) Italy
cell. +39 / 3392208831 Fax. +39 / 0818072127
[email protected] / www.americocarservice.com

I've contacted them and agreed on a price and approximate time. Once I know the arrival time of our train into Napoli Centrale, I will call him to provide the exact pickup time.

Someone else recommended this car service on this site. You can also contact your hotel and they can arrange for a transfer. As a backup, I downloaded an APP called BlackLane - it seems like an Uber for Italy, you can order car service. But I have never used it.

Take for what it is worth. This will be our first time in Italy so it is all new to me. Good luck with you trip.
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:37 AM
ekc

Depending on when you arrive in Rome, the easiest is taxi from FCO to Termini, then direct train from Termini to Salerno, then ferry from Salerno to Positano.

www.travelmar.it for ferry schedules.
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:39 AM

An alternative for Positano is to take the fast train to Salerno and a boat from there to Positano.

For Sorrento, there is a train from Naples, the Circumvesuviana, which leaves from the lower level of the main station in Naples. It can be rather crowded at rush hour.
Old May 31st, 2017, 11:50 AM

My son and his girlfriend had the same question. They have not traveled to Europe on their own, but had been with family/parents. After looking at various options, they went with the splurge, to hire a private driver.

They were thinking, they will be tired from their flight, and did not want to deal with multiple transfers. They just want to get to their first destination (Positano) as quickly and easily as possible.

The most economic way is public transportation for every leg, but it's the most involved. If they were to mix taxi/train (as mentioned above), and you factor in price for taxi from airport to Termini, then Naples to Positano, they decided that the extra cost to have door to door service seemed worth it for them. As they work their way back to Rome (with stay in Sorrento and then Rome, after Positatno), they will rely on public transport.

I think the cost was around $400 so not cheap, but to them it's a worthwhile splurge.
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 05:42 PM

My son and girlfriend used
http://rome.airports-shuttle.com/?we...0airport&p=1o3
for Positano transfer. It cost 360E. That was the cheapest they could find.
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 05:48 PM

HappyTvlr got it right in the first response to your question. But only you can answer how much you want to spend.