Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting from Positano to Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-from-positano-to-rome-1282408/)

LeslieC Apr 22nd, 2017 03:43 PM

Getting from Positano to Rome

After 4 nights Sorrento (including a day trip to Capri, then 2 nights Positano, we will transfer to Rome from Salerno (early September). Is this a reasonable plan?

10:00 am ferry from Positano to Salerno. Arrive Salerno 11:10 am. Taxi to the train station
1:30 pm train from Salerno to Rome

This will be our only chance to see the Amalfi coast from the water, so I prefer the ferry to the bus.
My questions:
1. Is this reasonable?
2. What would be our back-up plan if the ferry is cancelled (strike or inclement weather)? Bus?
3. If we have about 2 hours to kill while awaiting our train, could we store luggage at the train station?
4. Any nice areas near the train station to sightsee / have lunch?

ira Apr 22nd, 2017 05:25 PM

Hi LC,

1. Good idea. It's what I would do.

2. Bus to Amalfi and change for Salerno.

3. Yes. They have a checked luggage desk.

4. can't help.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

kja Apr 22nd, 2017 10:21 PM

1 and 2, ditto ira.

3 -- If I recall correctly, and I'm not at all sure that I do!, the luggage desk at the Salerno train station closed for a while mid-day. I can't swear to it, and things could have changed -- you might want to do a bit more research!

4. Salerno is, IMO, vastly underrated. The Lungomare is lovely, and you can certainly spend some time strolling it. The medieval core of Salerno is, IMO, fun to roam. The treasure-filled Duomo and the Diocesan Museum will probably be closed while you are there, as each has a very long mid-day pausa. :-(

5. Have you considered making time for Paestum? It is extraordinary....

Hope that helps!

ekc Apr 23rd, 2017 01:43 PM

No need for a taxi to the train station - it is a 10-minute walk from the ferry dock to the train station. I would drop my luggage at the train station and stroll the Lungomare.

PalenQ Apr 23rd, 2017 01:55 PM

13:30 train Salerno to Rome - did you get discounted tickets - if so they are train-specific and I think non-changeable at that price -if a full-fare then you can take any train after making the requisite seat reservation (except on regional trains that have no seat reservations and are dirt chap but takea about twice as long. For lots on Italian trains check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Yes Paestum is totally amazing - Greek temples and lovely setting but not time with just two hours but maybe leave earlier and do it?

LeslieC Apr 30th, 2017 03:40 PM

The ferry and train tickets have not yet been purchased. Thank's for the links, PalenQ. I have used seat61 and ricksteves but didn't know about budgeteuropetravel. It seems there are two competing high speed trains, one is the state train and the other is Italo. I guess we will pick the one with the best schedule that goes to the Rome Termini.

Considering a day trip to Paestrum on our unscheduled day in Sorrento.

Thanks for the tips about the Lungomare area and luggage storage. I'll do more research.

kja Apr 30th, 2017 04:15 PM

Paestum is most definitely worth considering! Leave an hour or so for the museum (which has some very unusual items) and some time to savor the region's delicious buffalo mozzarella. :-)

ekc May 1st, 2017 09:29 AM

To visit Paestum from Sorrento, take the train to Naples, then train Naples to Paestum. Be sure to purchase your return ticket in Naples as the Paestum station is unmanned.

PalenQ May 1st, 2017 01:03 PM

I think you can also take a train from Pompeii - the real town - to Salerno.

Or ferry or bus from Positano to Salerno - buses also go to Paestum.