getting from Montalcino to Rome

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting from Montalcino to Rome

On the way from Florence to Rome, I would like to make a stop in Siena and Montalcino. I plan to take the bus Florence to Siena and then a bus to Montalcino. My husband doesn't want to rent a car. I can't seem to find the Montalcino timetables on the sita site. Will I be able to find a taxi in Montalcino to take me to the Banfi Winery?

Would it make since to take a bus to Chiusi when I leave Montalcino (I'm not sure how far this is.) in order to get an ES train in Chiusi back to Rome. The train Siena-Chiusi-Rome is about 3 1/2 hrs. Should I try to go back to Florence to catch the ES train to Rome? My goal is shortest amount of traveling time possible.

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:13 AM
yk

topping
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM
GAC

Have you looked in www.trainspa.it

These are the TRA-IN bus schedules for the Province of Siena.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:42 PM

heidiho,
I have never seen a taxi in Montalcino (you can walk across the town in five minutes). I do not believe there is an ES train Chiusi to Rome (but there are several IC trains Chuisi to Rome- takes about an hour and a half). Chiusi is about 60 km from Montalcino and Bounconvento is about 15 km from Montalcino (I think you have to change buses at Bounconvento)
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 03:42 PM

Get your husband into the 2000s and rent a car. You will not have to schedule seeing this wonderful country around train schedules. Driving around and through Tuscany is EASY! It's better than in the US! (And we drive a lot here!) Dropping off the car at the airport in Rome was SO EASY. I'd never want to drive in Rome itself, but the highways are very simple to handle. (And the roads around Tuscany are magic!)
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 03:48 PM

That just does not work. Get a car, enjoy Tuscany, drop it in Orvieto.