Search

Getting from Milano Centrale station to Foro Bonaparte 76

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting from Milano Centrale station to Foro Bonaparte 76

Hello again.

During our 3 night stay in Bellagio, on Lake Como, my wife and I have arranged a 3.5 hour tour of Milan City which includes a viewing of the Last Supper.

After some investigation I am confident we will be able to make the Bellagio --> Varenna (Ferry) and then Varenna --> Milano Centrale (Regional train) commute, but then we have to find our way to Foro Bonaparte 76 - the meeting place for the tour.

At this stage we would be arriving at Milano Centrale station at around 13:40. A quick look at Goole Maps implied that it is a 37-minute walk which would require us to know exactly where we were going and have absolutely no hiccups along the way to make the tour in time.

Is there a quicker, easier way to get to Foro Bonaparte from the station, or do we need to take earlier connections?

At the moment our plan to get to Milano Centrale by 13:40 requires us to catch the ferry from Bellagio at 11:45 for a 12:37 connection for the train from Varenna to Milan. The previous train from Varenna to Milan is 2 hours earlier at 10:37 so this would make for a long day because following the tour our earliest connections have us back in Bellagio at 20:10

We of course are willing to pay for a taxi if this will help, but also would like to know where and how to hail the taxi and how difficult it is to get a taxi at this time of day on a Sunday. Any suggestions please?

Regards,

Steve
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 06:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can metro. Your tour seems to be meeting near the Castello.
http://www.milanocastello.it/ing/lungaRestaurato.html

Milan subway.
http://www.atm-mi.it/en/Pages/default.aspx
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM

if you can't afford hiccups without risking missing your tour and the Last Supper, i suggest you opt for the earlier train, and have a wonderful, relaxed time in Milan. It's a great place to window shop, people watch and drink delicious coffee in a historic caffe. Upon your return, 20:10 is not too late to get dinner in Bellagio.

If you prefer not to come in earlier, take a taxi from Milano Centrale. Even on a Sunday, you will find them lined up outside the train station. If you are not used to taking the Milan metro, you could lose precious minutes trying to buy a ticket and figure it out, or get lost.

Last possibility: Have you checked out the timing of taking the hydrofoil to the town of Como and catching the commuter train to Cadorna station in Milan? It would land you closer to the Castello. I don't know if that route gives you more wiggle room or is affordable or practical. But it might be worth checking out if you haven't already.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 07:00 AM

PS: You can also find regular trains from the town of Como to Milano Centrale, and maybe one works better for timing when it comes to getting off a ferry from Bellagio and making your way to Milan with time to spare.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM

37 min is somewhat ambitious especially with luggage. Taxi is the best; there are lots of them parked on the side of the central station. Metro will be slightly faster than 37 min (Central FS to Cairole) but it requires transfer at Duomo. Ticket is 1.50 for single now or 4.50 for 24 hrs. Also luggage needs a ticket but I've never seen anyone enforcing this rule. If you can arrive at Cadorna then walk is faster (about 1 km). Trans from Como Nord Borghi station arrive there; Varenna trains go to Centrale.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 07:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't imagine they will have luggage since it appears to be a day trip. You might have better return time options from Milan Cadorna to Como. I would check to see how late the ferris and buses run from Como to Bellagio. Cadorna station is closer the The Last Supper. Google your meeting place and you can easily locate everything.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys, thanks for the prompt and always informative advice.

Kybourbon, you are right about the luggage. We are on a day trip from Bellagio so no problem there. I wasn't aware of the regionals from Cadorna to Como and then hydrofoil or bus. I will explore that option as well.

Zeppole - everything you say makes perfect sense. I don't know what I was thinking (too much planning has fried my brain I think).

Here we are on the trip of a lifetime and I was finding ways of NOT getting to Milan too early! Not very bright but I will put it down to research overload.

Anyway, yes Zeppole, great idea. We will get to Milan early. Take in some sights on our own before the tour and then have some authentic Italian coffee while we people watch.

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions.

Regards,

Steve