Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting from Madrid to Barcelona (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-from-madrid-to-barcelona-635131/)

TravellingFromNYC Jul 30th, 2006 08:06 AM

Getting from Madrid to Barcelona

We need to get from Madrid to Barcelona while on our trip. It's come down to flying or taking a train (driving is not an option). Which do you recommend? Do you really save that much time flying? Plus, are the trains that run between Madrid and Barcelona nice? I've heard that they are not up to the same standard as many other European trains. If it would be a nice trip, we would consider the train even if it takes a bit longer. Cost is not a large issue, so we're not factoring that into our decision. Thanks!

BCNGuy1982 Jul 31st, 2006 10:45 AM

You should definitely fly from Madrid to BCN. It is quite a long train, and yes, you do save a lot of time by flying. Plus, there are a ton of flights between Madrid and BCN daily (especially on Iberia). Don't waste your time with the train...you'll enjoy the extra time in BCN!

JoeTro Jul 31st, 2006 11:00 AM

I flew on Iberia and it was just fine. Check out SpanAir too as they compete on that route heavily with Iberia.

PalQ Jul 31st, 2006 11:09 AM

Some of Europe's fastest and most modern trains now take about 4.5 hours on this route with the advent of the new high-speed rail line, which, alas, still has some problems that keep it from dropping the time even further, to about 3.5 hours in the near future i believe. These trains are as fast and modern or more so than French TGVs.

dutyfree Jul 31st, 2006 10:11 PM

My daughter could not get to Barcelona on a flight from the US so I had her on a nonstop flight to Madrid from US with a connection on Spanair to Barcelona. I purchased the Madrid-Barcelona portion on Orbitz and it was about $180 USD. The flight was quick,easy and so much more bearable than a traintrip there.

Dukey Aug 1st, 2006 12:18 AM

The trains are modsern and fast as PalQhas said and there is nothing "unbearable" about them IMO.

Both Spanair and Iberia compete heavily on this route and the flying time is a little over an hour. There are hourly departures.

You'd probably do better to book an e-ticket DIRECTLY with the airline rather than going through a search engine as far as prices go.

But be aware that the trains will get you pretty much city center to city center. You'll need to add on the extra time required to get yourself to the Madrid airport and then the time to check in and go through any necessary screening, waiting for luggage (if at all, at the BCN end and then transport into the city.

Be aware, also, of the luggage restrictions. Usually checked luggage is limited to 44 pounds per person.

In the end only you can decide if you the time you are saving, and it may not bne a lot, is worth it.

Nikki Aug 1st, 2006 01:51 AM

I took several flights last month within Spain on Vueling Airlines for 10 euros per person plus tax. The website is www.vueling.com. There are assigned seats, so it is not like Easyjet where you have to scramble for seats, and the planes were new. Prices fluctuate and become higher as more seats are sold, so it is advisable to book as soon as you can.

baldworth Aug 1st, 2006 02:04 AM

I also flew on Vueling just three weeks ago and with taxes and fees the price worked out to 33 euro or a little over $40 per person from Madrid to Barcelona. The only issue is that their flights are usually early but it was a very clean pleasant flight. You will have to take a bus or taxi from the airport in order to get to the city but that is relatively easy also.

Baldworth

carylspall Aug 1st, 2006 02:57 AM

Much cheaper to fly.
We did that route on Air Madrid. www.airmadrid.com

hernanc2002 Aug 1st, 2006 05:59 AM

I'll taking a bus (I bought at Eurolines but I think it's Alsa). It departs at 23:00 and arrives at 07:00.
Three advantages:
- It's very cheap: 25 EU
- Save time because you travel at night
- Save the night in a hotel/hostel

happytrailstoyou Aug 3rd, 2006 02:02 PM

A fast train is in the works for between Madrid and Barcellona, but the current one isn't fast and it isn't much fun. Flying is a better option if cost is not a big factor. Iberia, Spanair, Delta are among the airlines that fly this route.

GeoffHamer Aug 3rd, 2006 02:55 PM

There is a new high-speed standard-gauge line from Madrid to Lleida, and trains average 100 mph for this journey (the actual speed between stations is higher). From Lleida to Barcelona, there is only the old broad-gauge line and trains' wheels need to be adjusted for the different track gauge; the average speed for this part of the journey is only about 50 mph.

Cimbrone Aug 3rd, 2006 03:20 PM

I know little about Spain, but I'm curious about why so much disdain for a 4.5 train ride? Is the scenery so unbearably ugly? I'm just asking because there are so many fewer people singing the praises of train travel in relation to this particular route than any other. I've noticed it before.

happytrailstoyou Aug 3rd, 2006 05:23 PM

It's a pretty boring trip, but it is worthwhile if you break it up with a stop in Zaragosa.

hopscotch Aug 3rd, 2006 06:52 PM

I took the Estrella night train from Madrid to Barcelona. Excellent train, beds, and schedule. Departs Madrid Chamartin at 10 PM and arrives Barcelona Sants at 07 AM.

There is also a TrenHotel, an up-scale train, which runs an hour later. The TrenHotel has single and double compartments with toilet and shower in the room. It also has a dining car. Remember that Spaniards eat very late.

Even though this is a nine hour train trip you're not wasting any time because you would be sleeping anyway, and you save the cost of a night in a hotel. It's a no-brainer.