Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from Korcula to Mostar (Croatia - Bosnia-Herzogovina)

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be about seven weeks in the Balkans and will be visiting Split on to Hvar and Korcula. Then we want to go to Mostar for three nights and from there, Dubrovnik. But the transportation connections from Korcula direct to Mostar appear a little dicey. Any recommendations?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM

Ferry to Dubrovnik. Overnight. Bus to Mostar.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM

Hello --

It depends on the time of year you'll be there. Transport is a bit more frequent in the summer seasons, but we were just there last November and were able to travel quite easily via public transportation.

You can travel from Korcula to Split by regular ferries or catamarans: http://www.jadrolinija.hr/ or www.krilo.hr

You can go from Korcula to Dubrovnik by bus. There's one every day at 6:45 AM. It takes about 3 hours. I think it runs in the afternoon on Sundays, so check the schedule.

You can also take a ferry from Korcula to Dubrovnik, but it was a long trip and oddly timed for us, so we opted for the bus. The bus ride was scenic and quick.

Split or Dubrovnik has regular bus service to Mostar.http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/ or http://www.ak-split.hr/EN/vozni.red/index.html

We did a loop, starting in Mostar (coming from Sarajevo)...

Mostar to Split (bus)
Split to Korcula (catamaran)
Korcula to Dubrovnik (bus)

It was painlessly simple and cheap.

If you have the time, try to get to Sarajevo. It was the favorite place of our trip, just an amazing city...got under our skin, big time.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 07:04 PM

According to this site (which may or may not be reliable), direct buses to Mostar leave Korcula a few days a week:

http://www.korculainfo.com/buses-roads-korcula.htm

Assuming this isn't accurate or not on a day you need to travel, the most direct way (probably the way a direct bus would travel) would be ferry from Korcula Town to Orebic, bus from Orebic to Trpanj, another ferry to Ploce, and then regular bus service or perhaps a train from Ploce to Mostar. You'd need to dig up a bus schedule from Orebic to Trpanj and the ferry schedule from Trpanj to Ploce; I think the other pieces are more regular (lots of ferries for the short boat ride from Korcula Town to Orebic).

You can also detour to Dubrovnik - there's an early morning bus from Korcula to Dubrnovik - and then catch a bus to Mostar from there. That's going to be a long day of travel though.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
kja

> we want to go to Mostar for three nights

You might consider cutting that a bit. I found 1 night - a little under a full day - sufficient for my interests.

And I 2nd NanBug's suggestion to consider adding Sarajevo - delightful! I had about 1.5 days in Sarajevo and could easily have enjoyed 2 full days and maybe more. It is easily reached by public transportation to/from Mostar.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally agree with kja. Sarajevo was a delight, Mostar has a tourist center with sadder surrounds. Click on my name for my TR covering both.