Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting from Florence to Amalfi (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-from-florence-to-amalfi-221209/)

Ray May 16th, 2002 05:33 AM

Getting from Florence to Amalfi

Can anyone tell me the best way to get from Florence to Amalfi ? We are planning to take the train from Florence to Naples. However, once we get to Naples, should we get a cab directly to Amalfi and if so, is it expensive ? Our other option is to take the train to either Sorrento or Salerno and get a cab to Amalfi. Is this a cheaper option and worth the extra time ? Thanks

igor May 16th, 2002 05:36 AM

Do you know if there are any direct trains from Florence to Sorrento. We are thinking about going to Amalfi but we don't want to switch trains in Naples because we have a lot of luggage.

Sherry May 16th, 2002 05:48 AM

There are no direct trains from Florence to Amalfi.<BR>I don't believe there is a direct anything to Amalfi from Florence unless you drive.

igor May 16th, 2002 06:16 AM

Would it be a long drive from Florence to Amalfi? WE don't want to spend 10 hours in a car, so should we just do the northern and central italy this time and leave the south for the next trip?

Mike B May 16th, 2002 06:22 AM

I have taken the train from Naples to down the Amalfi to Sorrento. It is a very rudimentary feeder line called the "Circumvesuviano." As with anything originating in Napoli it is the true essence of Italy. However, if you are used to First or even Second class amenities this is definitely not for you. It is slow, crowded, difficult to accommodate luggage but definitely steeped in local color. Travel lite. A true adventure!

igor May 16th, 2002 06:53 AM

The train is definetely not for us. Any suggestions as far as driving vs. taking a plane?

Jeff W May 16th, 2002 06:54 AM

I traveled from Rome to Sorrento last year. There is a train from Naples to Sorrento -- the Circumvesuviano." which is easy to get to because its under the Naples station. I used it to go to Pompeii its not a modern train. You can also go by boat I believe to the Amalfi Coast during the high season. If you choos to go by train you can take a bus from Sorrento to Amalfi. We gota driver from our hotel to go to Sorrento from Naples and it was, I think, about $80 each way. Check with your hotel-they maybe able to assist you.<BR><BR>

mmh May 16th, 2002 07:31 AM

Igor, we drove from Positano to Florence earlier this month. We left our hotel around 8:30, drove to Florence, checked into our hotel in time for a late lunch. Not a bad trip.

igor May 16th, 2002 08:05 AM

Would you recommend driving from Positano as far north as Venice? Or is it too long of a drive?

Janda May 16th, 2002 08:22 AM

We drove from Florence to the Amalfi. It took about 5 hours. We did stop several times. You could easliy drive it. It is good to have a car because you then have the freedom to go whereever. It is such a beautiful area. We went to Pompeii and Sorrento. The next time we go we are going to stay in Sorrento instead of Positano area.<BR> Janda

Ray May 16th, 2002 10:01 AM

Igor, Thanks so much for your help.<BR><BR>Does anybody know how much a cab, bus and boat from Salerno to Amalfi cost ? Thanks

Myer May 16th, 2002 10:29 AM

We just returned from Rome, Sorrento, London (detailed report is under construction and should be posted by the end of the weekend) day before yesterday. <BR><BR>We took the Cirumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento. Definitely not first or second class feel. Depending upon the time of day it could be full of students going to or from school. Definitely local flavor.<BR><BR>Two problems: While the station is directly below the train station, you must walk down 2 flights of stairs with luggage. The reverse is ok due to escalators. The second problem is determining which train to take. Care must be taken. Between the ticket booth and tracks there is an electronic board that indicates destinations, track# and next train time. More than one train departs on each track and there is usually no more than 10 minutes between trains. Once I figured it out it became quite simple. There is an electronic board above the track that indicates the next train on that track and in how long it will leave. Wait for the one marked Sorrento. There are no readable markings on the train.<BR><BR>I am on the verge of deciding on renting a car on the next trip.<BR><BR>Also, the buses on the Amalfi coast are another adventure. <BR><BR>If you suffer at all from motion sickness, take something before riding the bus from Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi. The view is terrific (the best views are during the drive and not really the towns themselves except for Ravello).<BR><BR>The driver drove the whole way with his hand on the horn and alternating between gas pedal and brakes.<BR><BR>Warning: For buses in Rome as well as Amalfi drive buses. Make sure you validate tickets on entering the bus (a little box). There is a steep fine for not doing it. We met two women who were not aware of this requirement and they were fined 22 or 32 Euros (can't remember).<BR><BR>Hope this helps make decisions.<BR>