Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from Fiumicino Airport to Florence

Old May 12th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

My plane lands at Fiumicino Airport at 7:15 AM. Will I have enough time to land,go through immigration and customs, collect my luggage, and catch the train connection to the railroad station (Termini) in time to get a 9:00AM train to Florence?
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Sounds like enough time assuming you're not delayed to begin with.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Trains to Termini leave every 30 minutes and the trip takes 31 minutes.

Those train platforms at Termini are a ways away from where the Eurostar trains usually leave.

Assuming you arrive at an actual gate and there are no delays getting off, etc., and you don't arrive at the airport platform one minute after that train just left for Termini...

I would hope you would make it...
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:19 AM

This means 1:45 from the scheduled landing to catching 9:00am train at Termini.

Our plane landed 8:50, luggage and passport control were quick, but the earliest Eurostar we could make was 10:52 -- total of 2hrs from actual landing to departure from Termini.

I wanted to make the 10:30 Eurostar, but the 9:35 Leonard Express was pulling out of FCO when we got to the platform after a quick stop at an ATM to pick up enough Euro.

Looking at your schedule, to make the 9:00am Eurostar from Termini, you have to catch the 8:05 Leonard Express (presuming you are taking train to Termini.) That is 50min from the SCHEDULED landing to Leonard Express departure.

I studied the Termini map beforehand so I took the underground shortcut passage between the platforms. The Leonard Express from FCO arrives at extreme end of Termini. It took me 13 min to walk to my Eurostar - this, without getting lost and knowing exactly where to find the short cut.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Will it be any faster to take a cab from the airport to termini than to use the connecting train?
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

I'm trying to contact Trenitalia train service by phone, but the # they give, 892021 seems to be incorrect. When I dial 0113906892021 I get a message that this # is no longer in service. Does anyone have a correct telephone # for Trenitalia? Do they have an e-mail address?
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM

I'd be curious to know what day of the week you arrive, nevertheless, I don't think there's any way to know whether you could catch the 9:00 a.m. train to Florence. (Then again, the 9:00 a.m. train could be late!) There are just so many "ifs": if the plane is on time, if the luggage appears quickly, if you don't have to wait long for the express train, if the Eurostar platform isn't too far from the express train platform, etc. (FYI, the express train platform is very, very long.)

Would a taxi be faster? Perhaps, IF the line for taxis isn't too long and IF traffic heading into Rome during morning rush hour isn't too bad. You'll just have to commit to one or the other as you're leaving the baggage claim area.

Old May 12th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

I'm arriving on Sunday June 17 @7:15 AM. I think it's just going to be too tight and too many 'ifs' to make a 9:00 AM train from Rome to Florence.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Possible under ideal circumstances. But,for practical purposes,too tight.

GTG
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:26 AM

Scroll to the bottom for an updated version on this Airport to Rome post.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34808734

I believe I have done this Airport-Rome via the train 5 times on the weekend.
On 1 occasion I could have made that connection in 90mins, I was amazed because the Travel Gods smiled on me that day .

I have waited for almost 1hr just to get thru 'Passpost Control' on 1 occasion but other times 15-30mins.

Last May mid-week my luggage took 1:20 from landing to the luggage carousel.
Regards, Walter
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:49 AM
ira

Hi DR,

Train schedules are at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

You don't have to rush to try to make the 09:00 train.

Old May 13th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Drchoc,

I think you would probably be wiser to get reservations for the 10:00 AM train because as you have pointed out there are simply too many factors which could delay you to include not getting to a gate upon arrival and being bussed to the terminal; a delay in getting through Immigration; another delay in retrieving your luggage; another delay in getting through Customs.

Then you have to get the train tickets assuming you have the currency or are you going to us e a credit card in a machine?

Then if you don't get to the platform and have to wait possibly a full 29 minutes for another train to leave; then the walk at Termini.

I agree with Ira..for the 10:00 AM departure assuming there is one you won't have to rush.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Ijust spoke to a representative of Rail Europe (1-888-438-7245. He advised that they figure 2hours to land, get your luggage, go through customs and immigration, and catch the traain to Termini which takes another 1/2 hour. So for peace of mind one should allow 2 1/2 hours from landing to Termini. This sounds a bit too long.What I have done is book a 9:30 AM ES train to Florence AND co-book (the agent I spoke to was able to do this also) a 12:30 PM ES train also. When the time comes, I will probably settle on the 12:30PM train. Peach of mind and not having to rush and worry about catching a 9 or 9:30 train means a lot to me, especially if the flight is late, or it takes longer to collect luggage (you know how long that might take, go through immigration and customs, or I just miss the train to Termini and have to wait another 1/2 hour. There will be plenty of time to grab a bite to eat, do all the above, and still get to Termini in plenty of time to get the 12:30 PM train to Florence without the hassle otherwise. This of course applies only to people going directly from Rome to Florence or any other place besides Rome Central.