Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from Ferry Ports to Hotels In Fira and Naxos

May 30th, 2019, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I am looking for some information. I have a group of 32 adults (this is our 6th European adventure together) traveling to Greece in the middle of Sept. Because we live so close, we will fly direct out of Toronto,CA, to Athens. We will have almost 4 hours to make our connecting domestic flight to Heraklion, Crete, which should give us plenty of time .I have already booked transfers to the hotel. After 4 days in Crete, we will ferry to Fira, Santorini. I don't know what to expect when we arrive there. Do we need to hire a bus or taxis to take us to the funicular (or donkeys) to get us up to our hotels? How far away are they from the port? As I could not find one affordable hotel for the whole group, we are staying at Tzesko Villas and Nissos Thira - does anyone know how far apart they are? When booking, it looked like they were pretty close. After 3 nights on Santorini, we will ferry to Naxos, where we will all stay for 4 nights at the Galaxy Hotel in Naxos Town. Again, I need advice on the best way to get my group to the Galaxy Hotel from the port, but I have already booked transfers to Naxos Airport for our flight to Athens, where we will stay for our last three nights. Any and all suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated.
May 30th, 2019, 11:05 PM

First of all, the ferry from Crete won't arrive at the port with the cable car—that's the old port where cruise ship passengers are tendered from their ships. All ferries to Santorini arrive at Athinios, the new port, which has road access, with buses and taxis waiting to bring passengers to Fira and other Santorini villages. If you want to keep a group of 32 together you should book a private transfer, which could drop passengers off at their respective hotels.

Same goes with Naxos. Since you've already booked transfers to Naxos Airport for your flight to Athens, check with the same company for a transfer from the ferry port to Galaxy Hotel, or check with the hotel to see what it can do for you.

I wonder whether you will all want to stay together during the trip, or break up into smaller groups while on the islands? Normally you won't need reservations in restaurants on Naxos, but you will if you want all 32 to sit together for meals.
May 31st, 2019, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. None of my guidebooks seemed to clarify it for me. I will contact them today. Although we usually do one group activity at each location, on Crete it's a traditional folklore dinner, Santorini we will take a Caldera cruise, and on Naxos I have arranged a private guide for a day trip to Delos and Mykonos, everyone is on their own. My motto has always been "I will get you there, but, you are on your own once you get there - do your homework!!!" I also try to book hotels with a bar or lounge, so that we can meet in the evening and share our experiences.
May 31st, 2019, 09:25 AM

Tzekos Villas and Nissos Thira Hotel are about 1/3 mile apart. Both are approximately equidistant from the main bus terminal (Stathmos Leoforion) in Fira. Look here: https://tinyurl.com/yyb7gfe9 Tzekos is on the cliff and down some steps with an excellent view of the caldera. Nissos Thira has no caldera view, and no step climbing is required of those staying there with mobility issues. Although there will be a port bus waiting, with a group that large I think you'll need to book some sort of private transfer for all of you. Try the Hoppa website for that. https://www.hoppa.com/en/greece/santorini Start by entering Santorini in the Pickup Location window. Hoppa has large shuttle vans and you can book two, one to take some of you to the Nissos Thira and the other to take you to the Atlantis Hotel, which is within a short walking distance to Tzekos Villas. Hoppa also operates on Naxos.

Last edited by brotherleelove2004; May 31st, 2019 at 09:29 AM.
May 31st, 2019, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Am working on it now!!
May 31st, 2019, 01:50 PM

Just FYI - I loved the Galaxy Hotel when we stayed on Naxos. Very close to beach - easy walk to many restuarants. Really not far from the port but a transfer would be a good idea. Enjoy!
May 31st, 2019, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...I booked the Galaxy in November of last year because it looked like it would be a perfect place for my group. Any suggestions of things to do, restaurants, etc., would be appreciated. I know some of the group are planning on renting cars for a day while we are there, and some are planning a day trip to Paros.
Jun 1st, 2019, 07:43 AM

this and that

Well I think we liked every meal we had on Naxos - one restaurant that we went to twice was Taverna To Kastro - probably about a 10 or 15 minute walk from the Galaxy - mostly heading uphill and a bit of a maze to get there. But once you do, it has a lovely view out over the harbor and tasty choices - we went for a whole fish and some mezzes.

We did not rent a car but if you do, Naxos traffic is very mild. We did a small van day tour thru a local company and enjoyed seeing other parts of the island. One of the more interesting sights that I have seen in many years of traveling was a small local cemetary. The dead are buried in a sort of casket, ground level for seven years. After seven years, what remains is put into a box and then placed in an underground crypt with many other containers. They do this because there is not enough room on the island for an ever expanding cemetary. It was just something we happend to see when we meandered into the crypt at a church stop and then the guide explained the process to us. Hope this info was not too creepy

Many people enjoy hiking. We did visit the Venetian Museum in town one morning and while I was not honestly expecting much, we found it quite enjoyable.

Enjoy! I am hoping to return to Naxos in 2020.

Last edited by suec1; Jun 1st, 2019 at 07:51 AM. Reason: cemetary info