Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting from Eurostar station to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-from-eurostar-station-to-paris-71281/)

Colleen May 7th, 2000 07:25 AM

Getting from Eurostar station to Paris

What is the best way to get from the Eurostar train station to our hotel in the heart of Paris? We can't speak a word of French. Thanks

bo_jack May 7th, 2000 09:05 AM

Taxies are plentiful -- $30-$40, ballpark, would be my guess on the cost -- and Gare du Nordt (the Eurostar station) is a major bus terminal with very clear maps of the bus routes. (I think there is also a metro stop -- but, I've never used it.) Be sure to have the name and address of your hotel written down, preferably printed on a brocure from the hotel. Don't worry about not speaking French -- there are information centers in the station where most people are bi-lingual (French/English) -- and, in my opinion, the myths of French language arrogance are unfounded. We've never had any real problems, and we also have no French language skills.

Ben Haines May 7th, 2000 10:13 AM

Fodors <BR> <BR>The Eurostar train ends at the North Station, Gare du Nord, about two miles from the centre of Paris. If money's no problem you'll take a taxi. If you're watching money, and havelugage, I sugest a bus, from the small bus station on top of the railway station -- I'm pretty sure there's a lift. If you'll give me the street addrsss of your Paris hotel I'll look up a suitable bus for you. <BR> <BR>Welcome to Europe <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Michael May 7th, 2000 10:13 AM

The Paris Metro system is very easy to learn. In fact, if you look in the Fodors Guide every hotel listed also names the Metro stop. In fact...you might have a bigger disadvantage with a taxi because the taxci driver might not speak English. Tell me the name of your hotel (by email if you prefer) and I can help you...

Tony May 7th, 2000 12:06 PM

Colleen, <BR>We went to Paris via eurostar from London two years ago. Neither of us can speak a word a French. We used the metro <BR>to get to our hotel and was very easy <BR>to use. Purchase tickets for the metro <BR>at the eurostar station (both are connected). Just locate your hotel on a map and find the metro stop close to your hotel. Any map of Paris will have that information. It's a good system, inexpensive, easy to use and fun. Enjoy your trip. <BR>tony

Jerald May 7th, 2000 04:23 PM

Just did it, The Metro's are great but with luggage the stairs will kill you. The cabs are not that expensive & surely you have the name of your hotel written down, just show it to the cab driver & he will deliver you & your luggage to the hotel doorstep, not "a few minutes from the metro".

elvira May 8th, 2000 09:57 AM

I always have to take a deep breath and not say "it's so EASY to take the Metro!". Having done the RER/Metro from the airports, the train stations and all stops inbetween, it IS easy for me. <BR> <BR>If you have carryon luggage, and map out your route (use a map of Paris and www.ratp.fr) beforehand, you can easily do the Metro/RER. I get the feeling, though, that you're a little overwhelmed by Paris (first time, dears?). In that case, definitely get a cab. There'll be plenty of time to master the Metro/RER once you've found your hotel and freshened up. <BR> <BR>Don't shrink in the face of Paris; her bark is a lot worse than her bite. The city is easily walkable, the public transportation easily manageable, and the Parisians are easily dealt with (sorry, you can't manage or handle them, but that's the glory of 'em - smile a lot and learn the Gallic shrug, and all will be well).

Julie May 8th, 2000 04:21 PM

I have taken Eurostar a number of times from London to Paris. Gare du Nord is very central and a cab ride to most central Paris hotels shouldn't be more than $10-15 (with luggage it's a good deal). I would recommend having the name of your hotel and the address written on a piece of paper to show to the taxi driver. You shouldn't have a problem. Be forewarned that taxi lines can be long. Have fun! Paris is fabulous.

patti Nov 20th, 2000 09:42 PM

Hi! I hate to "hoard" in on Colleen's question but it was one I had too-just had not gotten that far in planning yet. But, since she asked (thanks Colleen!) I wanted to know the metro route I should take to go from the Eurostar station (Gare du Nord) to the Hotel Muguet in the 7th on Rue Chavert? <BR>And, what do you think it would cost for a taxi? Thank you for any information! <BR>Patti

AC Nov 21st, 2000 04:28 AM

Hi Colleen: <BR>When you get to Gare du Nord in Paris follow the taxi signs depending on the time of day will determine the length of the line(queque). The taxi drivers charge for luggage so be prepared. I found it very reasonable. The Metro is great except when you are carrying luggage, Too many steps!!! <BR>Patti: <BR>Geez when do you sleep???LOL You are going to have a lot of people....taxis in Paris are very very small....so we will have to keep thinking about your situation.

elvira Nov 21st, 2000 06:00 AM

From Gare du Nord, line 4 to Strasbourg-Saint-Denis (dir.Porte d'Orleans); change to line 9 to Latour Maubourg (dir.Balard). You're a few hundred yards from your hotel. <BR> <BR>If you go to this site http://www.pageszoom.com/rc.cgi? <BR> you can get a map of the area around the hotel, and a picture of the hotel - and other buildings on the street.

sam Nov 21st, 2000 08:19 AM

I will go back to the first post. First of all, I am a Metro nut and I only vacation in cities with Metros/Subway and my goal is to ride the 5 major subways systems in the world before I die. (I have been on 3 of the 5). So, I always for the Metro EXCEPT----&gt; On to the question----I took a taxi from Gare du Nord last November to the 5th arrd. (That meant I crossed from Right to left bank) and the taxi was around $13 and that included the extra charge for baggage and pick-up at a train station. Take a taxi!!!!!!!! Do what Elvira says and learn the Metro at a later date. You do not want to try to find the right Metro stations lugging heavy bags up and down the stairs and only to come to the right Metro stop but not having any idea of where and which direction the hotel is in. Get a taxi, sit back and enjoy the ride through Paris and get the driver to take you to the steps of your hotel. I was in Paris last week and took a taxi from the airport (CDG) and the cost was 250FF which is around $36 with baggage----the airport is a lot farther away than Gare du Nord.

Steve Nov 21st, 2000 09:08 AM

Each time I have been to Paris, (3 visits) I arrived at the metro stop for my hotel, climbed up to the street and a kind Parisian citizen has come up to me and asked if I needed directions...No worries...you will do just fine.

Patrick Nov 21st, 2000 09:32 AM

I just looked it up in my little journal -- in August we paid 80 francs including tip(just over $11)for a taxi from Gare du Nord to our hotel just off St. Germain in the 6th. I think the metered price was just over 70 francs. It was the middle of the afternoon and traffic was pretty heavy, so I can't imagine it being much more than that. In fact I believe we've usually paid less than $30 for a taxi from our hotel to Orly. Good suggestion about writing down the hotel and the address. I thought that I would easily be able to communicate Hotel Regent on Rue Dauphine, but the driver was still puzzled until I pulled out the brochure I had handy. So much for my fluent French. I think the taxi will be much more reassuring than trying to figure out any other means of transport on your arrival --even though the Metro is infinitely easier to navigate than New York's.

Jayelle Nov 21st, 2000 06:48 PM

Sam, <BR> Just curious, but what do you consider to be the five major subway systems in the world? I was wondering how many of them I have ridden so far. <BR>

patti Nov 21st, 2000 11:38 PM

AC-as you can tell-I am a bit of a night owl! Plus, I am having a meeting with "our group" soon and I want to hand out an itinerary and as much info. to them as I can so I am "burning the midnight oil" a lot here lately!! Thank God I work out of my home and can sleep in! They have left all the planning to me (but I am LOVING it!). <BR>I really appreciate your help and concern-that there ARE kind people in this world is something to be THANKFUL for! (Happy Thanksgiving everyone!) <BR>Thanks again AC! <BR>Patti

Patti Nov 21st, 2000 11:43 PM

Elvira-wow! Door-to-door directions! <BR>Thank you so much! Somehow, it just feels better hearing from someone who has really been there (and done that!) <BR>Patti

sam Nov 22nd, 2000 07:46 AM

New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Moscow <BR> <BR>Not really sure about Moscow, but I had to have an Iron Curtain system built before/during communism. Paris is by far the best next to New York. With my work, I should have been to Tokyo at least 5 times, but due to spending constraints, I have not been able to go. The closest I have been for work is San Jose, which has a small decent one rail line (VTA) but it appears not many people ride it. (and also CalTrain) I would like to ride some of the new lines such as Rome, Latin America and Taiwan. I work with people who live in Singapore and their system appears to be excellent along with Kula Lampur (sp). I was in the Louvre this past week and bought a book on the building of the Paris Metro with old pictures. It was a great feat for the early century. Not to mention the RER system which is truly a great regional rail line. <BR>

sam Nov 22nd, 2000 08:52 AM

The last post was to Jayelle's question.