Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting from CDG to Paris Gare de Lyon statation to catch TGV to Montpellier? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-from-cdg-to-paris-gare-de-lyon-statation-to-catch-tgv-to-montpellier-252871/)

Laura Aug 25th, 2002 09:01 AM

Getting from CDG to Paris Gare de Lyon statation to catch TGV to Montpellier?

Well..I've just found out thru Rail Europe (if they're reliable on this subject) that the 13:11 train from the airport to Montpellier is sold-out on the day we planned to travel (my husband has a confirmed airline ticket and I was trying to reserve his rail seat). As my plan was to "hang loose" and get a reservation once I arrived in Paris, this bit of news has thrown me. Is a sold-out train common? The Rail Europe rep mentioned I might be better off departing from the Gare de Lyon station (she also mentioned a connecting train from the airport, but in case that is sold out, too) - traveling from the airport, what is the best way to get to the Gare de Lyon? Thanks!

Sue Aug 25th, 2002 10:30 AM

Laura, what date are you leaving? Is this to be a round-trip with your husband? If you plan to return to Paris proper, it would probably be cheaper to go from Gare de Lyon because you would get the RT couple discount. Have you checked the SNCF site? Much cheaper than RailEurope.<BR><BR>To get to the Gare de Lyon, there is an Air France shuttle bus that leaves from both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, Le Bus Air France, Line 4: CDG Airport-Gare de Lyon/Montparnasse (Be sure to get off at Gare de Lyon).<BR><BR>This is the easiest inexpensive way to get there. Le Bus Air France services all airlines and departures. Baggage handlers are available at each stop. The air-conditioned coaches are very comfortable and feature a video.<BR><BR>It leaves from CDG every 30 minutes from 7:00am to 9:00pm; trip takes approx. 50 mins. You can buy your tickets where you catch the shuttle. See the following for complete information about departure points. Be sure to scroll down to Line 4: CDG-Gare de Lyon-Montparnasse.<BR><BR>http://www.cityorganiser.co.uk/Paris...irport.htm#Air

StCirq Aug 25th, 2002 11:05 AM

Laura:<BR><BR>I would definitely try the SNCF site. I would really doubt the train is sold out, although it's possible it's sold out between CDG and Gare de Lyon because of people using it just to get into Paris (if they allow that - just a conjecture here). <BR><BR>At any rate, you'll get a much better price on tickets through SNCF.<BR><BR>www.sncf.fr

TGV Aug 25th, 2002 11:11 AM

StCirq: the TGV's from CDG to Lyon do not go to Gare de Lyon at all. They drive east of Paris.<BR>Fully agree with your other suggestions.

Stcirq Aug 25th, 2002 11:40 AM

TGV:<BR><BR>Thanks for the correction. I've only taken the TGV from CDG to Avignon, and that train stopped in Paris for about 10 minutes (I think it was the Gare de Lyon, but can't be sure).<BR><BR>Just for my own edification: Do the TGVs to Montpellier not stop in Paris at all? Do they stop in Lyon?

Sue Aug 25th, 2002 12:33 PM

No TGVs from CDG go through Paris. Some do stop at Marne-la-Vall&eacute;e about 15 minutes after leaving CDG (maybe that's what you thought was Paris). The TGV to Montpellier doesn't stop till Lyon (town).

StCirq Aug 25th, 2002 12:38 PM

Thanks, Sue. I think it was Marne-la-Vallee.

TGV Aug 25th, 2002 12:39 PM

ST Cirq:<BR>TGV's from CDG to the Mediterranean (most, if not all actually start off from Lille) drive via Marne-la-Vall&eacute;e (Disneyland), Le Creusot, Lyon, Valence and then either <BR>- Avignon, Aix, Marseille, etc.. to Nice, or <BR>- Nimes, Montpellier etc.. to Perpignan.<BR>They stay east of Paris. They may or may not stop at one or more of the in between stations.

Laura Aug 25th, 2002 01:46 PM

Thank you for the great information, especially Sue, regarding the Air France shuttle. I won a rail pass, and my husband is on business - so his rail pass was purchased for him. However, if I ever have to buy a pass, I would definitely go thru SNCF! We're leaving next weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to depart from CDG, but if not, at least I'll have a well-researched back-up plan!

TGV Aug 25th, 2002 01:53 PM

Laura:<BR>If you give your travel date, I'll do a quick check on availability.

Sue Aug 25th, 2002 02:32 PM

Laura, on Sunday there's room in first class nonsmoking on the 13:11, but not the 14:04 or 16:04. On Monday, vice versa. And in all cases when the trains were full, it said there were other options (like second class or smoking--don't take smoking). So that should give you an idea.<BR><BR>Good idea to go with a backup plan!

Laura Aug 25th, 2002 03:15 PM

Sue - how are you able to find availability? Does Rail Europe only have control over a certain number of seats? If they're telling me it's sold out, can I call SNCF and make a reservation? It sounds like you'd recommend taking a seat in 2nd class rather than going with a smoking one in 1st - is it really that bad? Thanks for the information - I really appreciate it. I'm traveling with my two children, so I'd like to keep the travel/layover time as short as possible.

clairobscur Aug 25th, 2002 03:46 PM

There's not much difference between a 1st class seat and a second class seat, but there's a great difference between a smoking car and a not smoking car. If you don't like smoke, you'll certainly be much more happy in a 2nd class not smoking car than in a 1st class smoking car.<BR><BR>Similarily, leaving directly from CDG in a 2nd class car will certainly be on the overall more pleasant than having to go all the way to gare de Lyon to get a 1st class seat.

Laura Aug 25th, 2002 05:36 PM

Great point, thanks!

Sue Aug 26th, 2002 10:18 AM

Laura, there is a number where you can contact SNCF at [011-33] 892-35-35-39 (English) seven days a week from 7 am to 10 pm (French time). Though this number is for ticket sales, maybe they could answer your questions. I know one person was able to buy reservations only there for his Eurail pass, but I think they mail them to your home and your trip might be too close. I would certainly give it a try.

Sue Aug 26th, 2002 10:24 AM

Forgot to say, as far as I know you cannot buy reservations only on the SNCF site. (www.sncf.com) But you certainly can check schedules and availability by pretending to buy a ticket. (or tickets)<BR><BR>I think part of the problem with smoking cars is that smokers book in nonsmoking and then go to that car to smoke, so you have the equivalent of several cars of smoking passengers smoking in the one car. (if that makes any sense)

StCirq Aug 26th, 2002 10:50 AM

Sue: You can buy reservations on the SNCF site. I did it for my trip in June. You cannot, however, buy a particular seat. You don't know what seat assignment you have until you show up too pick up your tickets.

Sue Aug 26th, 2002 11:01 AM

St. Cirq, how do you get to the place on the site where you would only buy reservations? I can only find the ticket+reservation option.

StCirq Aug 26th, 2002 11:12 AM

Sue:<BR><BR>I think I may be misunderstanding you when you say "buy a reservation." Do you not want to purchase/reserve a ticket?<BR><BR>What I did was purchase two one-way tickets from the SNCF site, thereby reserving two seats (but not assigned ones)on a particular TGV from CDG to Avignon. At CDG I went to the ticket office, showed them my printed receipt, and picked them up. Seat assignments were made at the time of pickup.<BR><BR>If this is what you want to do, let me know and I'll go to the site and figure out how I did it and will post that info for you.

Sue Aug 26th, 2002 01:28 PM

St. Cirq, I said "you cannot buy reservations ONLY" (as far as I know) on the SNCF site. Laura has railpasses, so she does not need to purchase tickets, only reservations. I'm not going anywhere.:-( but thanks for the offer.