Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting from Amalfi to Pompeii and then Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-from-amalfi-to-pompeii-and-then-rome-777062/)

luvtotravel Apr 4th, 2009 01:31 PM

Getting from Amalfi to Pompeii and then Rome

You've all been a huge help to us in planning our trip. We have one week before we depart. There are four of us ladies, ages 53-75. Our 75-year-old is quite spry. The trip:
1 night Rome (arriving early morning) (Best Western Canada)
3 nights Capri (La Minerva)
4 nights Amalfi (Floridiana)
3 nights Rome (plus one extra night for me alone) (Residenza Cellini)

I am stressing about the road closure between Positano and Amalfi, but decided not to change our plans. Our hotel tells us that we can use the ferry from Capri to Amalfi, but not in bad weather. Weather might limit our day trip to Positano, but we can easily travel to Ravello and Cetara. Mostly concerned about getting from Capri to Amalfi if the weather is not cooperating. We will need to go to either Naples or Sorrento, or even Salerno via Naples, which would make for a long day.

We want to visit Pompeii, but it seems really far to travel from Amalfi. What if we stopped in Pompeii on the way back to Rome? We had originally planned to return to Rome via Salerno, but we haven't bought tickets yet. I'm thinking a private driver between Amalfi and Pompeii. I'm questioning how safe it is to check our luggage at Pompeii. Is that a good idea? We will each be traveling with one 20" suitcase. Alternately, we could hire the driver to take us to the Naples train station and wait for us for several hours while we tour Pompeii. Knowing my group, 2-3 hours will be enough. Luckily, too, we will be there during Culture Week, so Pompeii should be free. I'm hoping that alleviates the long lines to enter.

Your help would be appreciated as we pin down our final plans.

cathies Apr 4th, 2009 02:23 PM

Hi luvtotravel, I can't really help with the travel side of things as we stayed in Sorrento for a few days and the train trip to Pompeii from there is easy. However, I think that if you are only going to spend 2-3 hours in Pompeii then perhaps pick up a tour guide when you get there. We eavesdropped on some of the guides and they seemed pretty good. Without one I think you may just wander around aimlessly and miss lots of interesting things. I'm lucky my HB teaches ancient history and knew what he wanted to see at Pompeii.

It's a beautiful part of Italy, I hope you enjoy your time there.

travelfan1 Apr 4th, 2009 02:43 PM

Luv,

Can't help much with your travel plans...haven't been to the Amalfi Coast yet but we're going next spring. I have Pompeii as a must see too and thought I'd share this with you. It's a smart guide to Pompeii...about 6 hours. I can't imagine my group staying that long either, however you may find the article to be of some use. Please let us know when you're back and how you decided to tour Pompeii.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...icle828603.ece

Have a wonderful trip!

bobthenavigator Apr 4th, 2009 03:22 PM

Hire the driver to take you to Pompeii and then on to Naples. Paying for 6 hours at 35E /hour makes sense to me. There is a back road via Ravello to get to Pompeii, but I think that the road may be open now, but the back road may be faster from Amalfi.

ira Apr 5th, 2009 03:07 AM

Hi luv,

Good advice from Bob

((I))

ekscrunchy Apr 5th, 2009 03:16 AM

The road is now open, so no worries there!

I would let the driver wait for you--you will not need 6 hours! then have him take you on to the station.

Also, I am investigating reports of a low-priced private transfer from Amalfi coast to Rome and will report back if I hear anything.

luvtotravel Apr 5th, 2009 10:11 AM

Thanks all. ekscrunchy, I appreciate your research--let me know if you learn of someone low-priced. Only one of the four of us is holding a job, so budget is a consideration. I lost my job three weeks ago :-(

I think it will be busy on the AC. I know all my flights from/to LAX are full in economy class on 777s. So happy to hear that the road is open. Less stress.

Bob and Ira, I agree that a private driver is the way to go. Thanks for your reassurance. As the group planner I feel responsible and want to make everyone happy. Mostly they are happy that I do the planning as I'm the only one interested in the process. Last night I spent at least half an hour studying a map of Rome for the hundredth time. With my little compass I should get us around the city just fine.

Dayle Apr 5th, 2009 01:37 PM

Please don't eavesdrop on private tour guides paid for by others. It's tacky. It's also disruptive to those who paid for the tour, because the guide has to stop and politely explain to you that it's a private tour.

luvtotravel Apr 8th, 2009 11:52 AM

Just wanted you to know that we have arranged a private driver (the same one you used, ekscruncy, to take us from Amalfi to Pompeii, wait for us for three hours, and then to our hotel in Rome (as opposed to the Naples train station as I originally mentioned). Not cheap, but I think will be a great splurge of the trip. Is it customary to tip the driver or is the price quoted all we need to pay?

While we are in Pompeii, we will leave our luggage in the (as he put it) "space wagon" that I think is equivalent to a mini-van. Is that the safest way to go? Should we instead check our luggage at Pompeii? I'm guessing the driver will stay with the luggage if we keep it in the vehicle. I know I never leave anything in a car while traveling around Europe.

We've also lined up a private guide for a four-hour tour of the Ghetto and Trastevere the next day. With the weather clearing up over our dates, this is looking to be a wonderful trip.

ekscrunchy Apr 8th, 2009 12:46 PM

HI Luv!

I am glad you worked it out..the driver will be responsible for watching the luggage; I would not worry about it. That convenience is part of why you are hiring a private driver. You do not have to tip on top of the set fee.

I am very eager to hear all the details of your trip! Please say hello to Agnese for me at the Floridiana! Have a wonderful,wonderful time, if I don't "talk" to you before you leave! And don't forget the cookies at the Pansa bakery in Amalfi!

McCooper Apr 8th, 2009 03:59 PM

I am also looking at hiring a car/driver for 2 possible journeys:
1. Naples to Amalfi with a 3 hour stop in Pompeii
2. Amalfi to Rome.

Would you mind sharing how much it is costing you for your car/driver? I am trying to get a sense of what this would cost. We are 4 adults with what I think is pretty normal luggage (4 20" suitcases and 4 totes).
Thanks!

luvtotravel Apr 8th, 2009 10:33 PM

McCooper, we also have four 20" suitcases. He is charging us 400 euro for the day. That's from Amalfi to Pompeii, three hours in Pompeii, and then the ride from Pompeii to our hotel in Rome. This is not inexpensive, but we are trying to maximize our time and energy. The good news for us is that Pompeii has free admission on the day we will be there. Now if the weather would just cooperate for next week I'd be happy, but it's not looking that way.

McCooper Apr 9th, 2009 02:22 AM

Thanks very much for the info. I am also considering this for the same reasons - maximizing time and energy. I am travelling with my parents who are in their late 70s. As is your 75 year old, quite spry and active, but by this time in our trip it may be time for a splurge!
Hope you have a great time - we are also staying at Floridiana, but later in the spring. We are getting very excited!

luvtotravel Apr 9th, 2009 09:58 AM

McCooper -- I will report back on our stay on Capri. Hopefully we can make your visit beneficial. Have a wonderful time.

ekscrunchy Apr 9th, 2009 01:14 PM

McCooper: For a direct transfer from Amalfi to Rome, with no stop in Pompeii, I would think that you will pay in the neighborhood of 300 euro.

cathies Apr 9th, 2009 01:45 PM

Ok Dayle, let's get this straight. Perhaps 'eavesdrop' wasn't the best word to use. We were at certain parts of Pompeii, ie the public baths, at the same time that a tour guide was showing their party of about 10 people through. In a confined space we had no option but to listen as they spoke quite loudly to their group.

At another point we were looking at some artifacts and another group was also examining the artifacts and the guide was explaining some detail to the group. We weren't going to stop what we were doing because a tour group arrived. At no time did we tag along with those groups.

McCooper Apr 10th, 2009 04:54 AM

Thanks luvtotravel and ekscrunchy!

rosemarydean Jul 11th, 2009 02:48 PM

Hi...this is exactly what I have been going crazy to find for my kids. They will be in Positano, want to get a driver to take them to Pompeii and then to Rome. Or they can meet him in Pompeii if that is much less expensive, point is they want to get to Rome by the end of the day.
Who did you use, can you give us the details.
Thanks for your help.

luvtotravel Jul 12th, 2009 01:38 AM

Here is the driver's email: [email protected]
I believe he lives in or near Amalfi. Not likely that the cost will be lower to meet in Pompeii as he would need to drive there anyway and then back to Amalfi from Rome.

Perhaps someone knows of a driver near Pompeii, Naples, or even Rome who could do this for less money due to the shorter driving distances. In that case, no reason to pay a driver to wait while touring the ruins. I believe Pompeii has a luggage hold, but you would need to confirm that as we didn't use it.

If you would like to read my trip report click on my name and look for the post starting with "Wonton Soup..."

rosemarydean Jul 12th, 2009 03:00 AM

thanks so much, I'll check it out.