Getting from Airport to Hotel in Tirana

Sep 15th, 2018, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Getting from Airport to Hotel in Tirana

Does anyone have experience taking a taxi (reserved) from Tirana's airport to a hotel in the city? Since I booked my own air the travel company doesn't provide a transfer and they want 4 times the taxi cost to pick me up.

Does anyone have experience with Merr Taxi?
Sep 15th, 2018, 07:27 AM

I arrived and left Tirana by bus, but I did take a couple of taxis while there and they were cheap. I always check airport web sites for transport options. You can take a registered taxi for 19 euros or a bus for two euros. The taxi company cited on the airport website is not Merr taxi. (How much did the travel company want?)

Airport Taxi - Tirana International Airport
Sep 16th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Being limited to only two posts per day certainly impedes communication among posters!

The tour company based in Canada wants $75 each way to do the transfer. The partner tour company in Albania wants 20 Euros and Merr Taxi wants 12 Euros!

I'm arriving too late for the bus, plus I will been "on the road" for more than 24 hours and I'm a solo traveler. It's important to have someone waiting for me with my name on a sign. Merr has good reviews. Yes, there are other cab companies some of which pay to be on the airports website. The key is not to get into an unregistered cab.

Where did you exchange your currency for LEK. Did you use LEK, Euros or credit cards. I know there's a 10 Euro (only Euro) tourist card fee. Interestingly, in Egypt it was $20 US for the entry card.

I've exchanged emails with Merr and am impressed that the person's English was so fluent. Hopefully, I'm making a good choice.
Sep 16th, 2018, 12:51 PM

The posting restriction is to help cut down on spammers, it will be gradually lifted as you post more.

Yes, $75 is extortionate! I came in overland from Macedonia. I did not pay for a tourist card. I seem to remember paying euros for the car and driver from Korca to Gjirokastra, but that's a fair distance, and aside from that I think I used LEK and credit cards. According to the site I already linked there are ATMs at the airport.

I, too, am a solo woman traveler and I understand that arriving late means that you want to be sure of your transportation. If Merr is cheaper than the airport taxi and you are comfortable with the communication then that seems to be a good choice. You can always take an airport taxi if it doesn't work out.

For my time in Albania go here (links at the top of the page): https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...on-to-albania/
Or click on my name for my profile and look for my West Balkans TR.

I checked my records. I used my credit card for a couple of hotels, the rest of the time I used cash, but that was in 2011 and I am sure credit cards will be more common now.

Last edited by thursdaysd; Sep 16th, 2018 at 12:56 PM.
Sep 19th, 2018, 03:11 PM

Being limited to only two posts per day certainly impedes communication among posters

interesting places, that is only because you are new here. After the first couple days (4-5 posts I think it is) then you can post however much you want on any given day. I don't believe it is lifted "gradually".

Search this Thread