Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from Adare Village, Ireland to Glastonbury, England

Feb 16th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

How easy or how difficult would it be to get from Adare Village, Ireland (County Limerick) to Glastonbury, England? I've looked at the Thomas Cook map of Great Britain and it doesn't seem that I would be able to complete the trip in one day.

Can anyone here give me more definitive information regarding the time it would entail & perhaps the route? I've looked on-line hoping for timetable info but it appears I must buy the timetable guide from Thomas Cook. Except that right now the site is experiencing difficulty & is not accepting orders. I tried Amazon.com but they don't have any available.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,
Beatchick
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:25 PM

The Thos Cook timetable might not be that helpful anyway.

The nearest railway station to Glastonbury is Castle Cary on the London-Taunton line, though there are direct trains from Bristol city centre to CC (about 10 miles by taxi to Glastonbury: see www.nationalrail.co.uk for trainn timetables). There are also buses from a number of places direct to Glastonbury: see www.firstbadgerline.co.uk, then select 'Mendip' on the map)

So you need a plane either to Heathrow (whence bus to Reading, and catch the London-Taunton train) or Bristol (hence bus into town to catch the bus or train).
For plane timetables see www.nonrev.net, then 'timetables'

I'm assuming Shannon's your closest airport, not knowing Adare Village. If Limerick Junction station's handy, you might find it easier and cheaper to get to Dublin and fly from there, since Dublin has more (and cheaper) flights to Britain than most cities have town buses. For trains (and most buses) within Ireland try www.cie.ie

If you're determined to train it, Limerick J- Dublin- Dun Laoire- Holyhead- Birmingham-Bristol (TM or Parkway)- C Cary. Or make your way to Rosslare, then Fishguard-Bristol Parkway-CC.

I'm sure you can plane/train in a day. You can't ferry/train in a day, except by travelling overnight as well.
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM

Adare is closest to Shannon, but I couldn't find too many flights to the west of England from there. Perhaps Bristol may be an easier commute to Glastonbury? I could find flights from Dublin to Bristol on Aer Lingus - www.aerlingus.com or flights from Cork airport to Bristol on Aer Arran - www.aerarann.com for 40Euro.

Bus might be the easiest way to get to one of these two airports if you don't have a car. Irish bus site for timetables:
http://www.buseireann.ie

Cork airport was about 3 hours and two changes from Adare (50 miles).
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:58 PM
chas

Ryanair also have three flights per day between Dublin and Bristol

Feb 17th, 2004, 02:03 AM

I am sorry you are having trouble laying hands on the timetable. I start with an overnight ferry. Swansea Cork ferries sail at varying times, and today the software at www.swansea-cork.ie/ seems down. So I phoned them in England on 01792456116. In mid June typical overnight sailings are these: 16th from Cork at 2100 to Swansea at 0700, 19th from 2000 to 0600, 21st 2100 to 0700.

Cooks table 245 shows the Irish connection, not Sundays Limerick Junction 1837, restaurant car train, Cork 1936. There may well be a bus on Sundays. For the Wales and the West stretch table 135 Swansea 0830 Mon to Fri, buffet car train, Cardiff 0922 to 0930, Bristol Temple Meads 1020 to 1031, Bridgewater 1122, then a 30 minute bus to Glastonbury.

From 8 April Stena Line run a catamaran. On days they run you could go thus: Limerick daily 0835, bus, Waterford 1100 to 1130 Mon to Fri, Rosslaire Europort 1255 to 1330 daily April 9 to 26 September, Fishguard 1520, taxi or bus, Milford Haven 1624, Swansea 1522 to 1530, buffet car train, Cardiff 1620 to 1630, Bristol Temple Meads 1725 to 1731, Bridgewater 1806 then a 30 minute bus to Glastonbury.

[email protected]
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you all so much. It does appear that this will be an all day trip. As I was planning to stay in Dublin for a few days, it would probably be better to fly into Shannon, stay in Adare Village for 2 days, travel to Dublin for 3 days & then travel from there to Glastonbury. After about 3 days we'll be on to London for 2 days, then off to Paris for 5 days via the Channel Tunnel (at least I have the latter part down )!!
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Hi Beatchick:

Any reason that you are stuck on staying in Adare? It's a cute town, but it gets a rap for appearing to be sort of a fake Irish tourist village. It's OK IMO, but that is not the place I would pick to spend my only days in the west of Ireland. I would consider Dingle instead. Great town and the surrounding scenery is remarkable.

Bill
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bill! I appreciate the info. But isn't Dingle in the very farthest western corner of Ireland? My only fear is that it may be out of our way.
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Dingle is about 2.5 hours from Adare. It would be worth it by my estimation.

Bill