Getting film developed in Europe?

Apr 14th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Kristy

Getting film developed in Europe?

Hi everyone! I am going to Salzburg (first time to Europe, woo hoo!!) at the end of May. I read a tip somewhere that you should get your travel photos developed in the country you visited so you can put together a photo album on the long flight home. Has anyone tried this? Are one hour photo shops even common in Europe (esp Austria?) Thanks for any input!

Apr 14th, 2002, 08:39 PM
tom

Kristy, where on earth do you think you are going? Some underdeveloped country without electricity? OF COURSE, there are photo shops all over Europe. Sheeesh!

Apr 14th, 2002, 11:13 PM
MG

Tom, don't be so grumpy.

Yes, Kristy, I recommend doing this -- it saves the worry of putting your exposed film through airport x-ray machines.

Have a lovely trip!

Apr 15th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Tony Hughes

I don't think Tom is being grumpy; more annoyed at someone's ignorance.

One-hour photo labs in Europe - whatever next?

Apr 15th, 2002, 04:07 AM
s.fowler

There are 1 hour photo labs EVERYWHERE -- I had three rolls done in Skopje, Macedonia last December. The machines are automated so the results were very standard. The price was about 50% less expensive that in the US though -- lower labor costs I assume. I have also done this in Budapest with no problems at all. There the price was about the same as here.

Apr 15th, 2002, 04:22 AM
pb

And paying for a 1 hour development in London a couple of years ago, was going to cost me an arm & a leg.
Depends where you are and the cost.
I chose to keep my arm & leg.

Apr 15th, 2002, 05:05 AM
John

We had rolls developed in Luzern two years ago and the prices were quite high. Lots of places to choose from, but no low cost deals that we could find. Maybe it will be cheaper in Austria.

Apr 15th, 2002, 07:52 AM
kavey

If one hour proves too expensive, many photo labs have 3/4 hour services for less or 1 day for less again if this works for you.
Kavey

One suggestion which might save costs but not allow you to do an album on the way home is to have the film processed and just ask for an index print, not the full set of prints.

Processed film is not affected by Xrays at all.

(Though all recent surveys indicate that film less than 3200 is still not affected by airport machines even going through 20 times or more).

This way you could still look through the pics and plan an album printing up only the better shots when you got home.

Just a couple of alternative ideas.