Getting Euros in Italian Banks

Sep 19th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Getting Euros in Italian Banks

Doesn't anyone go to a bank to change dollars to Euros in Italy?
Are there fees? I don't see any mentions of banks on the threads about money changing in Italy.
Thanks
Molly
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Yes, there are always fees when you use a bank or other source, including a lousy exchange rate.

I always use my credit card/debit card. If you exchange dollars or travelers checks, you are looking at a fee.

I always take $$$ for emergency situations, but find out after the trips that I never needed them.
Sep 19th, 2003, 11:16 AM

Going to an Italian bank is a sure way to ruin your vacation. The hours they are open are minimal, there is usually only one (possibly two in a very large bank) teller working. Other tellers may be at their windows but they are doing some unknown job and if you ask them to help you will silently point to the only "working" teller without looking up from their desk. When you go to the correct teller, there will be a "line" at least ten people long (more like deep and undulating). Once a person gets their turn with the teller, they are so thankful to finally be there that they conduct every possible banking transaction they can think of, whether they need it now or not, just so they can avoid going to the bank in the near future. Therefore, the "line" moves glacially. I'd rather change money at a Changing Agency in the middle of Piazza Navona and pay their fees rather than go to a bank.
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:15 PM

I just returned from Milan and had no trouble using the ATMs.
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Forget about exchanging dollars for euro at a bank. Use ATMs and credit cards!
Sep 19th, 2003, 01:32 PM

I have entered Italian banks on a couple occasions to try to get change (like getting coins for bills). They would not do that for a non-customer.
Not sure that relates, except that I also suspect if you exchanged dollars for euro at an Italian bank, you'd probably get just as bad of a rate as if you did it in the US -- not good.
Sep 20th, 2003, 02:51 AM

Post Offices have lower fees and are open on Saturday morning.