Getting Euros for my Lire

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:01 AM
xxx

Getting Euros for my Lire

I understand that the official conversion rate is 1936.27 Lire per Euro. If I go into a bank in Italy, will I get this amount? Do they charge a service fee? Will they refuse as I'm not an accountholder? Is Banco d' Italia the only bank making exchanges? Thank you.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:40 AM
Alice Twain

The conversion rate is right. Since March only Banca d'Italia still accepts the old lire (banknotes only) and exchanges them in Euro, with neither commission nor fees. Banca d'Italia has agencies in all the main cities of Italy and nobody and nothing, afaik, has an account at Banca d'Italia, except the state. Banca d'Italia is like the Fed or Bce: not actually a "real" bank but rather an emanation of the government.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:54 AM
xxx

Thanks AT!
Is the Banca d'Italia easy to find? Are they in office buildings, or storefronts like commercial banks? I went to their website but couldnt find locations.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:44 AM
Alice Twain

Actually I have never been at any Banca d'Italia agency. I suppose they are placed in some XIX century builing in the center of these cities. Check out this document for the addresses: http://www.bancaditalia.it/changeove...ambio_pari.pdf

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:13 AM
MJN

Attempted to change lire to euros last week at Banca d'Italia in Rome. One location is just off Piazza Republica.
Arrived at 2:30 and were told it would not reopen that day. On the way home we just put the 200,000 lire in the UNICEF box, figuring we would support a good cause and quit wasting time with conversions.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:21 AM
Alice Twain

MJN:

Like many other opublic offices in italy, Banca d'italia is open to the public only during the morning. 200.000 lire is a ogood deal of money, though! I mean, if you relly do not want to be bothered with exchanging money, and you have 200,000 lire... Well, I just know what to do with them ;-P

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
xxx

Thanks so much for the link with the bank addresses! Incredibly helpful!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
Patrick

To answer your question about the amount you will get once you have found the Banco d'Italia: yes, you will get the full amount as set before the Euro conversion. Just two months ago I had about one million two hundred thousand lira and took it into the Banco d'Italia in Cagliari in Sardinia. I had already figured out the amount in euro I should get based on that figure and yes, they gave me that to the cent. There is no fee and no other conversion charge. I thought I might have to fill out a form or something, but no, just hand over the money and they give you euro.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:18 PM
abc

You didn't say change Lires to Euros, right....so you should say change Lire to Euro as the plural of Euro is Euro

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 02:59 PM
xxx

Pa-leeze. When we talk about pizza pies in English, we say 2 pizzas. Does that bother you too?

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:33 PM
Patrick

Old habits die hard, I suppose. This year we went to Europe with the knowledge that we knew the plural of euro was euro, and carefully worded it as such. But we were in the vast minority. Nearly every shop owner or restaurant waiter would say, "that's 35 euros" or "that will be 20 euros 5". When in Rome does as the Romans do -- so I suppose with that theory, we might just as well join them in saying euros.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:55 AM
ira

Hi
Interesting point regarding the plural of Euro.
Is there any other Western currency in which the singular and plural are the same?
If not, who decided that Euro should be plural?