Getting contact lenses in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How difficult/easy would it be for me to purchase contact lenses while in Paris? I am leaving tonight for France and would like to be able to see it more clearly with my stronger prescription! I had ordered them online here at home but they did not arrive in time despite overnight shipping. Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:32 AM

I imagine that, with a prescription, you would be able to have it filled. However, I would advise asking the cost beforehand. Glasses, at least, are more expensive here. Haven't had to replace my contacts yet.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:18 AM

It depends on how much time you'll be in Paris and how unusual your prescription/lenses are. I have very weak eyes with astigmatism and can never get lenses quickly but if you wear something fairly standard, it might be possible.

Go into a shop on the day you arrive. There are several chains like Optique 2000 and Alain Afflelou, around. (And there is a huge shop whose name I can't remember on the Champs Elysees with an extraordinary selection of glasses.) Ask them how long it will take, and then add at least two days (promised delivery dates don't always pan out).
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses. So does this mean that there would not be any place that might have my lense sin stock? It is a common lense. I will only be in Paris for 4 nights and then on to other destinations so I think that getting them shipped is not an option for me.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Grand Optical.
Alain Afflelou.
Optique 2000.

I say: go to www.grandoptical.com
Not only do they do everything very very fast, their guarantee is computerized and if anything goes wrong, they'll replace it at any other store immediately. For normal eyeglasses, they guarantee one complete replacement within a year (broken, scratched...) totally free of charge. I had a bad year, where I broke my glass frames once -- even though the glasses were from Paris, they were replaced in Avignon within the hour and the person said 'oh, the lenses are a little scratched. I'll replace those, too.' Later the same year, I lost a screw which they replaced free of charge and said 'oh, let's replace the lenses, too, but don't tell anybody.' Again, 100% free.

That place really amazes me. But I don't know about contacts there.
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Kerouac...

Thank you so much! I've printed it out and will bring it with me and hopefully I can get what I need there. Maybe I'll even go for a pair of glasses too now. Many thanks.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:48 PM

travel3773

Do let us know how you go and if they accept foreign prescriptions.

Happy travels!

s