Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting around Poland - transportation logistics (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-around-poland-transportation-logistics-876860/)

amyb Feb 7th, 2011 05:49 AM

Getting around Poland - transportation logistics

I'm starting to think about a Poland itinerary for May. I'd be flying from Boston and I'm finding it tough to nail down airfare. I "think" I've found the most expeditious route, but am looking for confirmation.

I want to visit: Gdansk, Warsaw and Krakow. I think the easiest route is:

Boston to Gdansk (via Lufthansa through Frankfurt)
Train/quick flight from Gdansk to Warsaw (not sure which is quickest?)
Train/quick flight from Warsaw to Krakow (again, not sure what is quickest?)
Krakow to Boston (via Lufthansa through Frankfurt)

Is there a smarter way to do this itinerary? I'm not as concerned about price as I am making the best use of my time, so limited stopovers and shortest travel time are key. Anything I'm missing here that I should know?

Thanks in advance!

iris1745 Feb 7th, 2011 09:40 AM

Hi amyb; Inter country flights for both destinations are about an hour. If you add 1 1/2 hour to the beginning and ending of each flight, it means about four hours. Includes getting out of the city and into the other city. I think a train from Gdansk to Warsaw will take over four hours. But from Warsaw to Krakow, as little as 2 1/2 hours. Flights can be checked on www.kayak.com and train schedules on www.raileurope.com. I would use Rail Europe for 'schedules only' as their prices are high. Someone will give you the right train company to buy a train ticket. We have never had a problem buying a ticket the day before or the day of leaving a city. Perhaps you can find transportation suggestions on this site, plus a lot of other good information for download. www.inyourpocket.com Richard

akrobat Feb 7th, 2011 09:48 AM

Amyb,

We booked a flight about a month ago on LOT from Krakow to Warsaw for a departure in mid-May. The total for two people and a lap baby was US $31.75. We booked directly through the LOT website.

amyb Feb 7th, 2011 11:01 AM

Thank you, good to know! I'll look into LOT for the internal flights.

iris1745 Feb 7th, 2011 11:41 AM

Lot comes up on the www.kayak.com site. Once you press 'select' you will see Lot. I think a flight or train from Warsaw to Krakow would be a good choice. The train does saves a little time. Gdansk to Warsaw for me would be a flight.

RedStater Mar 2nd, 2011 09:10 AM

Amy, here's your solution - take your bike! I'm doing Warsaw-Gdansk-Krakow in July/August, and I'm taking the Surly along.

anunia1985 Jun 30th, 2011 10:36 PM

How was the trip? It is true that Poland is an interesting country? What surprised you most and what you liked most? I am very curious what impressions you had during your stay in Poland.