Drives through Champagne

Search

Drives through Champagne

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drives through Champagne

I will be travelling from Paris to Champagne in August. Can anyone recommend a scenic drive through Champagne? I would like to find a scenic route through the vineyards and undulating hills. I plan to tour a Champagne House. As of now, I will be going to Reims and Laon and possibly Amiens. Any suggestions and help will greatly be appreciated.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 04:31 PM

We've done driving tours in Champagne twice. This book was helpful for planning:

http://www.amazon.com/French-Eyewitn.../dp/1405312122

Reims is one of my favourite small cities. In addition to tasting champagne at the major champagne houses, try to fit in a visit to the cathedral (which has stained glass windows with wine themes designed by Marc Chagall), the surrender museum (where the Germans surrendered at the end of World War II), and an Art Deco architectural walking tour.

It's best to try to book in advance (a few days in advance) your visits to the champagne houses in Reims. You can buy a cheap pay-as-you go cell phone when you arrive in France - it will come in very handy for a wine-tasting tour. You'll want it to make appointments at the big champagne houses in major cities like Reims and also for visiting smaller places in the countryside. GPS also will come in handy.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

I have an appointment to visit Veuve, a GPS, a phone and I ordered the recommended book. I will definitely visit the Cathedrals in Reims & Laon. Hopefully, the book will have recommendations for which particular routes are the most aesthetically pleasing. I'm grateful, FOOW, for the suggestions. Thank you.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM

If you drive through, can you really do a lot of tasting?

There is more than one house to visit, no?

Veuve Cliquot was quaint compared to Domaine Chandon. But the latter had a prettier guide, who had this exquisite French-British accent. Or rather, she had an accent, obviously having learned English in the UK.

But she was exquisite.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

So, Le Grande Dame is to be found at Chandon.

I'm open to suggestions for other Maisons to visit. Chandon is in Épernay. It looks like it is not too far out of the way. The email I received from Veuve states the tour and tasting is about 90 minutes. I am only interested in touring a couple Maisons. However, my favorite, Maison Bruno Paillard, does not offer visitations or tastings. My main objective is to see the Cathedrals, dine at L'Assiette Champenoise and enjoy the drive.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 09:22 PM

If you plan your route using www.viamichelin.fr , under "options" you can select the type of route you want, i.e. scenic route, and it will give you options.

They don't really do a good job of explaining what exactly it is that you would see by taking that route (instead of the "fastest" or "shortest distance"), but then I suppose that's because they want you to buy their Michelin Green Guide for that On the map they show, the scenic portions are highlighted in green, so that should help you select which road you want to take as well.

One of the most scenic drives we have taken, if you are in the area, was to Chalons sur Marne, near Epernay. It is up on a hill and at the top is a park containing a huge statue of a Pope (Clement?), a native son. The drive up was splendid, but the view from the garden was spectacular. We also had a very nice meal at the local restaurant on the square.

Happy Travels!

A quick on-line search of the cities/towns on the route, however, will do the trick.