Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   getting around Amalfi? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-around-amalfi-481458/)

aggiemouse Oct 20th, 2004 08:10 AM

getting around Amalfi?

I'm planning on being there the first week in January...

What is the best way to get around the Amalfi Coast? Trains? Buses? Cars?

Also, is it better to stay in one place and travel throughout? If so, suggestions?

This is my first trip to Italy, and I'm so excited

DRJ Oct 20th, 2004 08:26 AM

I was there a couple of years ago and never had a problem with the SITA busses. Printed schedules and generally very much on time. I think a car is a liability on the coast. Gas prices, parking, etc.

sfbayarea Oct 20th, 2004 09:27 AM

We were just there last week and had no problems with the SITA buses. There seemed to be one every half an hour to an hour. I would definitely not drive and there are no trains available on the amalfi coast.

ira Oct 20th, 2004 09:42 AM

Hi aggie,

How long will you be there?
How will you get there.

A lot depends on the season.

Dick Oct 20th, 2004 10:02 AM

I'll be in the area during th elast week in May.

I was planning on flying into Naples and then renting a car. does that make sense?

aggiemouse Oct 20th, 2004 10:16 AM

It's part of an MBA trip, so I will be in Florence from Dec. 26-31st, on my own until Jan 4th, and then in Rome from the 4th through the 9th.

My other concern is I'm more of a person that likes to do and see things (museums, churches, picturesque views that involve stair climbs, etc). Perhaps another location would be more for me?

nytraveler Oct 20th, 2004 12:51 PM

We were based on Sorrento and traveled all over by car. It was very simple - assuming you're a reasonably confident driver - and was way more convenient than waiting around for buses - which can sometimes ver incrdibly crowded.

A lot of people say parking is a problem - but we didn;t find it to be an issue at all - always found a place to put the car within a few minutes. (I think that parking may be an issue for people who aren;t used to cities - and assume you'll find parking like at a mall - rather than the circling, searching and fitting into a tiny spot mode typical in cities.) Just be sure your hotel has parking for overnights.

Dick Oct 20th, 2004 01:21 PM

ny,

I know you were responding to aggie...but thanks for the info about getting around in a car.

I'm originally from Boston, so I'm not concerned about the actual driving.

Tess_Durberville Oct 20th, 2004 01:38 PM

Dick,

You'll be okay driving in Naples. Boston is a good training ground for generating the bold & fearless attitude necessary for driving in any of Italy's cities.

Aggiemouse,

As you've expressed an interest in museums & churches, why choose the Amalfi Coast? Yes, they do have incredibly picturesque views and certainly if you're up for stair-climbing, then Positano is your town. However for those 3 days that you'll be on your own, did you consider taking the train up to Venice? Or even stay put in Florence and explore other nearby Tuscan towns (Siena, Lucca, Pisa).

aggiemouse Oct 20th, 2004 01:55 PM

Tess,

That's exactly what I've been debating! Plus I have a friend that is travelling with me that has yet to throw out an opinion on the matter!

I keep going back to Venice in my head, but I hear from people that went on this trip in years past that it was rainy, very cold, and miserable. I am from Texas, and while I'm not averse to cold weather, I'm not completly accustomed to it either.

crckwc Oct 21st, 2004 08:14 AM

Since you expressed an interest in both the Amalfi coast and in churches and museums, why not spend 2-3 days in Rome -- more churches and museums than you could possibly cover in that time -- and the other days on the Amalfi coast. We traveled from Rome to Sorrento by train, based there and then took the SITA bus down the coast, stopping at Amalfi and Positano. We did a similar trip last year only this time we drove. I think it's a toss-up as to which is better. It depends upon whether you are a competent and confident driver. If you are hesitant or uncertain, then by all means take the bus. We had no problem driving although you must be alert on the tight curves as many drivers tend to go over the mid-line or "cut the corner" on curves. You said you're from Texas -- so are we -- so if you've driven in Houston you'll be ok.

ira Oct 21st, 2004 08:20 AM

Hi aggie,

January is the off off season on the AC.

It would be a shame to miss Venice, even in the Winter. Two nights will be nice.

crckwc Oct 21st, 2004 08:21 AM

Sorry, I didn't remember the part about your having already been in Rome prior to Amalfi. Away from the coast are Pompeii and Herculeneum (sp?) which are historic and quite interesting. Pompeii can be reached by train as well as by car. Although we didn't care for Naples much, it does offer museums.

erin_rob Oct 21st, 2004 09:07 AM

we just got back from the Amalfi coast so i can help answer your questions about transportation. we had a car but didn't use it all that much. we drove from Rome to Sorrento. from Sorrento we took a train to Pompei because it's very convenient. then we drove to Positano for a couple days. the driving was not nearly as difficult as we expected. like others said, you do have to be a confident driver. we are from NJ/NY so we are no strangers to difficult driving/parking conditions. i could see parking being a problem. make sure your hotels have parking.

good luck!

erin