Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting an Under 26 Trenitalia Travel Card?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I go about doing this for my 20 yr old son? Can anyone help please?

I'm just reading up here on using these special fares and would like to factor this card into planning for our trip too.

He has an International Student card but there is no option for this on the Trenitalia booking site.

Grateful advice from the train whizzes posting info here on the winter deals or others who know how.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:24 AM
ira

Hi oz,
Sorry, can't help on the 26 card.

You might also want to look into the trenitalia Youth Pass, 4 days travel in 2 months for $174.

See http://www.raileurope.com/us/help/index.htm

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira

Will check that.

Am still working up my DIY itinerary post cancelled Globus February European Tour.

I now have 3 nights booked in Venice - during Carnivale of all times! Staying Al Campaniel.

Then thinking onto Florence for 2 nights, hire car and through the hill towns for several days, ending perhaps in Sorrento or Sienna for Pompeii and Paestum.

Train back to Rome for 3-4 nights, fly if possible to Paris for 3 nights then, as per your suggestion, back to London for couple more nights (Priceline accom I hope).

We will then pick up our FF flight London to Sydney Oz, via 2 nights in Hong Kong.

I much appreciated your and StuDudley's input on that itinerary.

Also the advice re BMI flight London to Venice from JudyC.

Just taking a lot of research to pull it all together in an affordable manner.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 05:45 AM
GAC

You can buy the Carta Verde Railpass at most train stations in Italy which have a manned ticket window, as well as at Italian Travel Agencies which sell Trenitalia tickets. It costs 40 Euros and is valid one year. It gives you a 10% discount on domestic rail travel and a 25% discount on international rail travel. You must be 26 or under to qualify.

In my opinion, you'll save much more money by qualifying for the "Sabato di Trenitalia.com", the "Eurostar a 29/39 Euro" (valid through 4/30/2005), and the "Notti di Trenitalia" promotional fares.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:04 AM
ira

Hi oz,

Good advice from GAC.

>..Florence for 2 nights, hire car and through the hill towns for several days, ending perhaps in Sorrento or Sienna for Pompeii and Paestum.<

You want Sorrento, not Siena, for Pompeii and Paestum.

>...Rome for 3-4 nights, fly if possible to Paris for 3 nights ..<

There are cheap flights from Pisa and Naples to Paris Orly and CDG, but not from Rome.

February is not the best time for visiting Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast.
If Rome, Pompeii, Paestum and Paris are important, you might want to consider dropping the motor tour through Tuscany, adding a couple of days to Florence (visit Siena by bus); going to Rome (daytrip to Orvieto), then train to Naples.

From Naples you can visit Pompeii, Paestum, Vesuvius and Sorrento before fling to Paris.

Hope I haven't made things worse.

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 07:26 AM
GAC

I should specify that there is also the "Carta Verde" (NOT TO BE CONFUSED with the "Carta Verde Railpass&quot which costs 30 Euros per year and give you a 15% discount on domestic Italian trains. I suspect that you were interested in this card rather than the one which costs 40 Euros per year and also gives discounts for international travel. Either way, the other promotional fares described above usually give better value.