Getaway drive from Rome for a day

Sep 6th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Getaway drive from Rome for a day

We would like to drive for a day leaving Rome early and returning late evening. We have an apartment for 9 nights in Rome. We will be there the end of April.

Looking for a route to take to see beautiful scenery, quaint towns, hills/mountains or even water/shoreline. We're not interested in seeing ruins, caves, monuments, etc. Just some beautiful scenery.

Can anyone recommend any routes we could take?

Thanks so much,
Lydia
Sep 7th, 2007, 09:33 AM
ira

HI L,

Head out toward Orvieto and vicinity.

Sep 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira!
Sep 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM

I agree with the suggestion for Orvieto, but I will add that there's absolutely no reason to take a car. You can just take the train direct from Rome, takes about an hour or so and goes through some lovely scenery (snow-capped mountains in the distance).
We spent a day there this past March and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We all loved this little town, perched high above the valley. Wonderful souvenir shopping, too!
Sep 7th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Orvieto's a great destination, but you might also consider heading south down the coast to Anzio, Sperlonga, and Gaeta, then going inland to some of the fairly remote and interesting hilltowns.

Anzio is the site of the Italian D-Day landings and has an interesting museum and several nice cemetaries. You can take a boat out the island of Ponza from there as well. Sperlonga and Gaeta are very nice beach towns with bold old and new quarters.

Go inland to Finza and there abouts and then make your way back to Rome. A car would be essential for this trip.
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hagan. But the purpose of this type of trip for us, is just to see scenery, stop for photos and just look/gawk. We're not particularly looking for a town to stop and explore. I think with all the churches, monuments, ruins, etc. in Rome we will be ready for something different.

St. Cirq thanks for your suggestions. I have actually thought about Anzio, but wasn't sure about what "scenery" we would be going through or best routes.

Last September we flew to Munich and drove to Rothenburg, Salzburg much of Bavaria south and west of Munich, down to Venice and then back to Munich. We spent 18 days on this trip and while we thoroughly enjoyed all the cities, castles and "tourist" stops, we really were amazed and gratified by the scenery.

That trip was easier for some reason to plan than this trip to Rome.

Thanks again to all.
Lydia
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:44 PM

I have not been, but have read good things about the drive east from Rome through the Aniene Valley through Vicovaro to hilltowns like Saracinesco and Subiaco..

Lake Bracciano might make another good destination on a day trip...
Sep 8th, 2007, 06:07 AM

The Michelin green guide has a driving tour of the Castelli Romani region SE of Rome. I have never had a car in Rome so haven't been able to try this route but it looks scenic and interesting and is on my to-do-sometime list. In my experience driving in other countries the Michelin suggested routes are worth following.

Here's a link with information about and some pictures of the region
http://www.initaly.com/regions/latium/castelli.htm
Sep 8th, 2007, 06:24 AM

I agree with Vttraveler - this area satisfies your criteria: "just to see scenery, stop for photos and just look/gawk. We're not particularly looking for a town to stop and explore."

Orvieto is "a town to stop and explore" and it's about 1.5-2 hours away (by autostrada). The Castelli Romani area is quite close to Rome and features a number of nice hilltowns. The pope's summer palace (in Castel Gandolfo) is there.
Sep 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM

We did a two week road trip in Italy this past August. On the last day with the car heading for Rome, we went to Cascata d. Marmore http://tinyurl.com/2j3amm Absolutely stunning but be prepared to get wet. And then to Narni a delightful town where we had delicious panini served by a charming owner - Caffe' d'Italia. But it was the road out of Narni leading to Rome that was simply breathtaking - when I had my eyes open! (I have this little thing with heights. I'm okay as long as the drop isn't on the passenger's side!) At that point we just picked up A1 into Rome, but from looking at the map there should be plenty of scenic drives that would keep you from having to double back or take the autostrada.
Sep 8th, 2007, 09:11 AM

After spending several hours in Orvieto, we drove over to Todi, whice we enjoyed, too.

Now we want to go back to both.

Byrd
Sep 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM

There is so much to see in Lazio itself (the province of Rome) that I find it difficult to understand the advice to drive to Orvieto for the day...

If none of the above near Rome appeals, what about visiting the Sabina area with its olive oil mills, untouristed hill towns and lovely scenery?
Sep 8th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Here is a great website with many ideas for driving trips close to Rome, including Sperlonga and others mentioned above:

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/lazio/bracciano.html
Sep 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Everyone, thank you, thank you!!

This is exactly the type of information I was looking for!

Lydia