Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Get rental car at Malpensa airport or downtown Milan?

Nov 6th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

We arrive in Malpensa and then rent a car to go directly to Como (and then on to other towns in Northern Italy). Unfortunately I need an automatic transmission and "FELL OFF MY CHAIR" when I saw the cost of a compact car rental for 12 days.

Since picking up at the airport adds 14 or 15% to the total rental costs, picking up in downtown Milan would save about $120. BUT...my husband will be in a wheelchair, and we'll have one checked and one carry-on bag.
-How easy will it be for us to get to downtown Milan with the wheelchair??
-Would we take a bus or a train to town (sounds like taxis are quite expensive)?
-What is the cost?
-Any other options we should consider?

Sometimes the hassle to save some money is not worth it. Is this one of those times??
Nov 6th, 2006, 08:46 PM

Have you looked at the rental rates through wholesalers such as AutoEurope and their sister company Kemwel?

The wheelchair presents a definite challenge and yes I think this may very well be one of those times when the money you will be saving may not be worth it.

If you were both fully mobile it might be a different story.

I would NOT consider taking the bus but would spring for that expensive taxi ride which may still be cheaper with the money you'll save by not renting at the airport.
Nov 6th, 2006, 08:51 PM

Id never drive IN Milan myself and would recommend you rent from Malpensa.

-Would we take a bus or a train to town I have taken the bus, which is cheap and drops you off at the train station

- sounds like taxis are quite expensive? - yes, last trip we ran into really bad traffic, I was rushing for a meeting and we took detours and the fare was about 90 Euros. Less than this in normal circumstances, I suppose, but it IS expensive

- Sometimes the hassle to save some money is not worth it. Is this one of those times?? I think this is one of those times.

However, if you want to consider renting from downtown, then you might want to rent the car and then hire a taxi to lead you to the highway, but that is going to cost you.

Overall, I think you should save time and difficulty and just take the car from the airport. I think it is a false economy to travel all the way into Milan to rent the car, even for $120, particularly after a flight!

Regards Ger
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:02 PM
jgg

I agree with others that it is probably not worth the hassle to get downtown. Plus the direct bus from the airport to downtown (train station) takes about 50 minutes - that is a lot of time when you are really ready to head on your way.
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Dukey, Ger and jgg for your advice. Sounds like we will rent directly at the airport.

Dukey, I did check with Kemwel and Autoeurope for rates. Looks like Gemut is the best rate, which some recommended on other posts. All are expensive but I can't drive a manual so we'll pay the price for an automatic. Much thanks.