Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Get Euros in US or Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/get-euros-in-us-or-italy-293735/)

StenoLady Mar 2nd, 2003 01:49 PM

Get Euros in US or Italy?

I have no experience with the new Euro. Should I get my Euros here in US before going or wait till I'm in Italy? What is the basic exchange rate? Is the value of a Euro to American dollar about the same?

rex Mar 2nd, 2003 02:03 PM

Get then there. One euro will cost you something like $1.10 USD.<BR><BR>Check xe.net for changes.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>

chrisp Mar 2nd, 2003 02:09 PM

Don't get them in the US. Use the ATM at the airport. Just be sure your ATM card has a 4 digit password. The exchange rate is better. Happy Traveling. <BR>

RachelG Mar 2nd, 2003 02:10 PM

I always get my foreign currency here at my bank before I leave. They don't charge an exchange fee, and I don't have to worry about finding somewhere to exchange money as soon as I arrive.

StenoLady Mar 2nd, 2003 02:14 PM

Rex,<BR>Thanks for the tip.<BR>Deb<BR>

rex Mar 2nd, 2003 02:21 PM

The &quot;no exchange fee&quot; is always a myth. They just adjust the rate in their favor an extra 5%, and say &quot;no fee&quot;, of course.<BR><BR>Unless you are a nation, settling your trade deficit, or exchanging millions per transaction.<BR>

Budman Mar 2nd, 2003 04:09 PM

You may want to take a few Euros with you before you depart, but you will be taking a beating on the exchange rate and commissions charged in the U.S. if you exchange large amounts . <BR><BR>I always get mine from the ATM's. At the airport, or they are all over the place, and user friendly. I use my check card and my credit card. Make sure you have a 4-digit pin. I've heard that the 6-digit pin can be a bit of trouble.

jody Mar 2nd, 2003 04:18 PM

The last thing I ever use to get cash is a credit card1 It is a cash advance and you pay a whopping fee! I get 200 Euro or so before I leave..since I charge everything there , I usually don't have to get anymore. I know I could do it at the airport but all I want after I get off the plane is my luggage and a taxi!

_Julie_ Mar 2nd, 2003 11:58 PM

I agree with Budman - I usually will take about 100euro with me but other than that I only use my ATM or credit cards, I don't even bother with traveller's cheques anymore.<BR>I found that I get the best exchange out of an ATM.

Dave Mar 3rd, 2003 03:10 AM

My vote is with Julie and Budman as well....<BR>OTOH: I've learned (through personal experience!) that not having ANY Euros, or Pounds, or whatever with you when you land can be a headache......<BR><BR>It's really not a bad idea to have some (maybe 100 or so) with you when you land so that in the event a &quot;convenient&quot; ATM is &quot;broken&quot; :-)!!, you can still get whatever you might need and not waste time. You might pay some commission or exchange fee at your local bank, but we're talking about a couple of dollars!!<BR><BR>The headache of not having any is thereby eliminated and the beginning of the trip is not its own headache!<BR>Best wishes for a great trip! Dave

suze Mar 3rd, 2003 02:45 PM

I take a ATM card, U.S. cash, and travelers checks (and a charge card for emergencies only). I wait until I arrive, then immediately at the airport get cash using one of the above three methods.<BR>

JEFF_ Mar 3rd, 2003 03:28 PM

I usually like to have some foreign currency when I arrive. In pre-Euro Austria, I found that none of the ATM's at the Vienna train station were operating. I then noticed that the exchange booth with poor rates was the same bank that had the ATM's. Coincidence? It just meant a long wait to get Austrian schillings.

Natalia Mar 3rd, 2003 03:47 PM

I agree, I have learned from experience to take some local currency with me. Twice I have encountered broken ATM machines in the air ports, and I needed cash for taxi, tips just to get to the hotel. Also, depending on your arrival time you may want to grab something to eat or have a coffee. I would rather take 100Euro just to avoid hassles when I get off of a long flight and just want to get to the hotel.

rex Mar 3rd, 2003 05:09 PM

I did not mean my answer to imply that I disagree with a little bit of local currency in hand, whether going to Italy or outside the EMU. But a hundred ought to do.<BR>