Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Get euros in US before trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/get-euros-in-us-before-trip-528132/)

txchic May 10th, 2005 06:45 PM

Get euros in US before trip?

We are leaving next week. Some of our friends got euros here and paid $10 fee plus 1.34 rate. Would we be better off waiting and using airport ATM machine?

ucsun May 10th, 2005 06:49 PM

i've always gotten foreign currency when i get to where i am going. if you are going to any relatively know airport, then you should be able to find an atm. the only thing you may want to figure out based on your destination is who the larger banks are so that you can safely use those atms. i'm sure people on this board would know that.

humanone May 10th, 2005 06:51 PM

Imagine flying so many hours, and crossing so many time zones and having to find and use the ATM machine at an airport, assuming it is in operating condition. I always get Euros in advance, enough for taxi, snacks and emergencies. Bank of America will mail them to you for a fee if you have a checking or savings account with them, but there are other sources such as AAA. Once in Europe, the least expensive way to get Euros is with a a debit/checking card from your previously deposited money in a checking account at home; my bank charges 3%, and if you pull out $300 then that is only 1%.

rex May 10th, 2005 06:52 PM

Yes, you will get more euros for an equivalent number of dolalrs if you wait and use the ATM there.

<<the only thing you may want to figure out based on your destination is who the larger banks are so that you can safely use those atms.>>

As long as your ATM card is affiliated with one of the big networks (Cirrus, etc), then you don't have to know much about any names of any banks.

Best wishes,

Rex

janis May 10th, 2005 07:45 PM

ATMs are the best way to go. But if you want some cash before you fly just wait til you are at your departure airport and use a bureau de change.

People try to make things too complicated - order € from a bank, etc.

Because of advance check-in requirements, you will have a LOT of time airside to kill before you board your plane. More than enough time to eat something, do some duty free shopping, have a drink AND pick up a few €.

Patrick May 10th, 2005 07:51 PM

Do whatever makes you comfortable. A few extra dollars to have some euros in your pocket is fine if it gives you more confidence.

But I'm somewhat amused when people talk like trying to deal with an ATM on arrival is such a major ordeal. How on earth do they manage to get transport to their hotel or find their way through customs if using at ATM is more than their jet-lagged brain can handle? When did using an ATM become such a difficult procedure?

LoveItaly May 10th, 2005 07:56 PM

Hi txchic, obviously you will get a wealth of opinions. Personally I like having some euros when I arrive in Italy, but that is just me. Do what makes you the most relaxed. We all have different methods of travelling.

Joost May 11th, 2005 02:30 AM

Patrick,

Using an ATM ofcourse isn't gonna be difficult in itself... but picture this: after arriving you'll most probably be tired. You've just retrieved you luggage and now need to find an ATM and wait in line. Beleive me, you'll be an easy target for thieves and pickpockets...

Intrepid1 May 11th, 2005 02:52 AM

I usually take the Euros left over from the last trip to get me to the nearest ATM.

I strongly disagree that

1) there will be "lines" at the ATM...sometimes there are and sometimes there aren't

2) you'll be easy prey for thieves...not if you are careful and stand with your luggage (if you are a solo traveler) on the floor between you and the ATM

You'll be easier prey for stolen luggage while you are in the bathroom.

JOHNOD May 11th, 2005 03:37 AM

Everything everyone says on the thread is true. An ATM will probably get you the best rate and it is eay to change money at the aiport and at banks in most larger villages, not all. If you are worried about it there is one more option, www.travelex.com/usa/ is the company that operate the Bureau D Change. Buy $500.00 in Euro and they will fed Ed Ex it you front door for free. Currently you gter 723 Euro for 1000.00 U.S. with no additional fee. The rub is you have to use an atm or debit card. Your credit card company will charge you a cash advance fee. Have fun

ira May 11th, 2005 03:46 AM

>Currently you get 723 Euro for 1000.00 U.S. <

Which is $1.38/E compared to the current excahnge rate of 1.29. You are paying $67 for your free shipping.

>..our friends got euros here and paid $10 fee plus...<

There is no need to pay a fee. Convert about $75 at the exchange bureaus at the departure airport if it will make you more comfortable.

((I))

KidsToLondon May 11th, 2005 05:37 AM

Use an ATM...

IMHO "bureau de change" is French for "rip off tourists"

martytravels May 11th, 2005 05:45 AM

You don't usually have to look very hard for an ATM at the airport, you'll probably trip over a few of them on your way out of the baggage claim area to the ground transportation area. With the exception of the frightful Terminal 1 at Charles de Gaulle, I've found ATMS everywhere at European airports. At Amsterdam, for example, you'll pass several ATMS as you make your way to the shuttle/taxi area or the express train platform in the arrivals area.

Lydel May 11th, 2005 05:50 AM

We are going to Italy, for the first time in Europe, in October and have never used an ATM machine, therefore don't know anything about them.
Can't we just pay in US money or use our credit cards while there?

martytravels May 11th, 2005 05:54 AM

No, U.S. money will not be accepted. Can you pay with Euros or pesos or kroner here? Credit cards are accepted, but not everywhere. Many restaurants and smaller shops won't accept them.

SAnParis May 11th, 2005 06:01 AM

I always feel better about having a few Euros (or whatever the local currency is in my pocket when I arrive). Many banks will essentially convert your funds for free or a small fee if you are an account holder. In the scheme of things, a few $$ for me is well worth the peace of mind it provides. In addition, you're probably spending a couple of thousand dollars on the trip, this cost (as well as ATM fees which may be nothing or may be significant) are miniscule in comparison to most other expenses you will incur on the trip. After all, everyone has to make money. I won't even address Lydels comments/question.

suze May 11th, 2005 06:58 AM

For Lydel- Yes you can use charge cards. No you can't use U.S. dollars. Since you're not traveling until October, why not get an ATM card and learn how to use it? If not that, then order euro from your home bank before your trip. And/or plan to visit banks in Europe to change Travelers Checks or whatever you had in mind for a source of cash.

For the OP- ATM at the arrival airport will save you that $10 fee and give a good rate. Some people (me included) pay a bit more for the peace of mind to have euro in their wallets upon arrival. That's up to you. Either way works just fine.

janis May 11th, 2005 07:07 AM

"Can't we just pay in US money . . ."

You ARE kidding, aren't you???

isabeaublue May 11th, 2005 07:25 AM

Lydel,
Only in an utter emergency, and without a Euro in your pocket, should you ever attempt to use US dollars in Europe. There are several reasons for this, including but not limited to:

1) The system is set up around Euros. How would you feel if someone here at home offered you pesetas instead of dollars on your paycheck?

2) You are guaranteed to get a poor rate of exchange if you use dollars - people will take advantage of you.

3) You are likely to offend people - there is already a sentiment in Europe that Americans believe the world revolves around the United States.

ATMs are easy - if you've ever gone to the bank drive-thru to use the machine to get cash, that's an ATM and they work the same in Europe as they do here. (Except I've never seen a drive-thru in Europe! The ATMs are built into the outside wall of the bank)
All you need is your card and your pin.

In Europe you just have to select English as your language preference.
The rest is pretty intuitive.

Have a great trip!

Queenie May 11th, 2005 07:58 AM

Lets give Lydel a break.

Many countries outside of Europe prefer dollars.

I was in the Seychelles last month and they would not accept their own country currency to enter the Marine Parks. Payment had to be made in $ or Euro.

On another note, be sure to know the approximate exchange rate before using the ATM machine. We were in Moscow and did not know the ruble to dollar exchange rate, and ended up withdrawing only $15.