I am planning a 3 week trip for my mom, my young boys, and me to Germany this summer or next. We spent 4 weeks there last summer and visited quite a bit, so I am looking to stay put in one area this next trip.
We thoroughly enjoyed the Chiemgau area and that is probably top of our list. We also enjoyed the Harz very much and were enchanted with Garmish-Partenkirchen, Grainau. Freiburg was also very lovely.
I am looking for the following: A place to stay that gives us day trip options that are fairly close (we will no doubt have a car), a charming Altstadt, lots of nature, and a lake or two for the boys to swim in.
I know that sounds open ended, but I'd like to avoid the bigger cities.....I've seen and done them all. We've spent considerable amount of time near Dresden, Munich, etc.
We would even consider places in Austria. Any thoughts? I have been searching vacation homes, etc, but maybe there are some areas I am not considering that would fit the bill.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 2 GTG Paris December 2017
- 3 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 4 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 5 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 6 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 7 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 8 Need help with ideas for stopover location
- 9 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 10 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 11 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 12 Paris Apartment
- 13 Visit to France
- 14 Barcelona to Malaga
- 15 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 16 Trains - website?
- 17 Which Area in London?
- 18 First time in Spain
- 19 family trip to Germany and more
- 20 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 21 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 22 Packing Champagne
- 23 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 24 Milan airport--which one
- 25 two days in Nice