Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Germany two weeks (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/germany-two-weeks-699092/)

tas92123 Apr 22nd, 2007 01:08 PM

Germany two weeks

I am planning to vist Germany on May, for two weeks. Any recommentations about places to see around, local restaurants etc.. Thanks!

cmeyer54 Apr 22nd, 2007 01:30 PM

a few details would help - where are you flying in/out of? what are your interests? I personally like Heidelburg, Rothenburg, Baden Baden, Black Forest, Lake Constanz, Bodenzee, Munich. Others rave about berlin and the northern areas.

ira Apr 22nd, 2007 01:34 PM

Hi tas,

I suggest that you get a few guide books from the library.

After you have a draft plan, come back and let us help you improve it.

((I))

bigtyke Apr 22nd, 2007 04:50 PM

Rhine valley, Rothenburg, Munich, King Ludwigs castles, black Forest. Spend at least 3 nights in each location. Check out Bavaria bens website. Stay in small hotels, B&B's, Bauernhof, Fewos.

tzarinna Apr 22nd, 2007 04:58 PM

I liked Berlin and Dresden.

bettyk Apr 22nd, 2007 05:07 PM

Do you want big towns, smaller villages, mountains, rivers, lakes, museums, castles?? An ideas about your interests would be helpful.

nytraveler Apr 22nd, 2007 05:19 PM

Really you need to tell us more. Are you looking for cities? Great museums? Nightlife? Small midieval towns? Rhine castles? Hiking? Mountains? River boats? Roman ruins?

Do you planon ttraveling by car? train?

There are hundreds of options and in 2 weeks you can only being to touch on them.

Once we know more about you and what you're intrested in - and where you're going - people can be specific on hotels, restaurants etc.

If you want inspiration get some tour books and look at the pictures.

One caveat: May is very close - and many hotels in popular places may already be sold out.

tas92123 Apr 24th, 2007 10:42 AM

I want some information about the attractions of Germany's biggest towns in order to search for specific details. Thank you!

tcreath Apr 24th, 2007 10:51 AM

Are you only interested in bigger cities? I liked the cities I've been to in Germany but, in my opinion, the best areas of Germany lie outside of them in the countryside.

We would still need some more information before we can really help you. Germany is a large country. Where in Germany will you be visiting? What kinds of things do you like to do?

Tracy

Michael Apr 24th, 2007 10:53 AM

<i>I want some information about the attractions of Germany's biggest towns in order to search for specific details. Thank you!</i>

I think that this is backwards. The guide books will give you the general information, posters can add to that information according to their personal and specific experiences.

J_Correa Apr 24th, 2007 11:20 AM

I was faced with basically the same question as you when planning out Germany trip - had 2 weeks flying in and out of Munich, what to do and where to go in the interum? I had never been and wasn't sure where to go.

I checked an Eyewitness Guide for Germany out of my library and started going through it. I like the Eyewitness Guides for a first pass at an itinerary because there are plenty of color pictures and short descriptions, but not a ton of detail - so it is easy to get overall ideas of areas without getting bogged down.

I made a list of everywhere that looked good (very long list, just about everything looked great to me). Then with input from my husband and consulting a map, we narrowed it down - deciding to focus on Bavaria rather than going all over, that way we would decrease time spent going from one place to the next.

Once we had a general idea, then I started really researching the details.

We ended up with:
Munich for about 4 days.
Train to Nuremberg
Nuremberg for 4 days with day trips by train.
Car south along the romantic road to Fussen.
Fussen for 2 days.
Back to Munich.

This worked out great for us - just our speed, saw a lot but had time to relax.

PalenQ Apr 24th, 2007 11:26 AM

If you want to get a quick overview of main cities and sights and an itinerary planner for Germany get the free European Planning &amp; Rail Guide (at www.budgeteuropetravel.com) and look at their chapter on Germany - even if not going by rail it gives a nifty overview of what to see in Germany then go to some detailed guidebook to find out more. If going by train then consider the bargain Germany Railpass. www.ricksteves.com has good info on German rail and passes.