Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Germany Trip/Hotel and Tourist Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/germany-trip-hotel-and-tourist-questions-411387/)

shoffman Mar 15th, 2004 04:59 PM

Germany Trip/Hotel and Tourist Questions

Trip to Munich in two weeks. Any information on the Sheraton Arabella Grand Munich? Also, any information about the hotel, SeeHotel in Friedricshafen, or the Neuschwanstein-hotel? Do you think we need to buy tickets for Sound of Music Tour or Newschwanstein Castle Tour in advance? Which tour for Sound of Music? Any other not to be missed sights, especially for kids 10 and 11. Thanks.

RufusTFirefly Mar 15th, 2004 05:49 PM

shoffman--I'm not familiar with a hotel called the Neuschwanstein Hotel. Which town is it located in?

DAX Mar 15th, 2004 09:48 PM

For me,Arabella Grand is too far from the center. I'd recommend Le Meridian, a new hotel right across the street from the main train station (for car rental). Every room is equipped with a large plasma TV, a rather cool French cafe/bar in the hotel. Room prices are very reasonable(99-125 euro seasonal specials). Our kids(9 & 11)enjoyed the Deutsches museum for the high tech bridge, tunnel & airplanes/trains.
The hotels below the Neuschwanstein castle looked very nice (didn't stay there) reminiscent of hotels in an american theme park resort. You can ride up to the NS castle on a horsedrawn carriage from the hotels. It's easy to buy the tickets at the bottom, but you'll have a long wait after your climb to the hilltop, where it's too late to return the tickets!. It was so long that our kids begged us to return the tickets. There is a cafe at the top to entertain your kids with ice cream.
The less dramatic Hohenschwangau is an easy hike from the hotels. You may also consider driving to Schloss Linderhof nearby.
I believe the Sound of Music tour in Salzburg doesn't start until after Easter. Other things to do with the kids in Salzburg: Hohenfestung, the Marionette puppet theatre, and the playful fountains in the Hellbrun Palace grounds(after Easter). Hope this helps your trip planning.

jacksonjr Mar 16th, 2004 05:20 AM

I reserved my tickets online for Neuschwanstein Castle Picked up tickets at will call (no line) day of tour. I am confused by DAX's long wait to get into the castle my ticket had a tour time on it.

RufusTFirefly Mar 16th, 2004 08:33 AM

I'm also confuse about the ticket reference--our tickets also had a set tour time so you could just show up shortly before your tour was scheduled.

JonJon Mar 16th, 2004 08:43 AM

Stayed at LeMeridien last May...directly across the street from the main RR station so very convenient to that and the S-Bahn/U-Bahn network.
Try comparing prices on the LeMeridein website and hotelbook or Utell....they often discount the rooms. Much more centrally-located than the Arabella and it is also air conditioned which we NEEDED last May because of the humidity.
I am not familiar with the "Sound of Music" tour except for one that is in Salzburg. I have never bought tickets in advance for either Neuschwanstein or Linderhof. Personally, if you have the time the most dramatic (interior) palace of all of the ones Ludwig built is SW of Munich at Herrenchiemsee (ner Prien). Neuschwanstein is definitely worth a visit but when compared to the Linderhof or Herrenchiemsee the Neuschwanstein interior is disappointing.
You might also consider Schloss Nymphenburg which is IN Munich itself and definitely the Residenze which has a Ludwig carriage and sleigh collection that must be seen to be believed.

yk Mar 16th, 2004 08:51 AM

shoffman-

You posted 2 separate messages with the same question, and you are getting multiple responses to both. Here is a link to your other thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34484017

In the future, if you have trouble finding your posts, just click on your screename (top L corner of screen) and all your previous posts will show up.

yk Mar 16th, 2004 08:53 AM

shoffman-

Oh, sorry, I see that the 2 posts aren't exactly the same. But definitely confused me. Sorry again.