COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Germany Travel Info

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Germany Travel Info

My daughter and I will be traveling to Hamburg, Berlin and Freiburg Germany in May. We were wondering about how to pack for a 10 day trip. What type of clothing should we take? Can we wear our denim!
Thanks
Pat
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:47 AM
ira

Hi Pat,

Lay out everything you think you will need and remove 1/2 of it.

Fit the remainder into a 21" rollaboard suitcase and a tote bag.

Whatever doesn't fit doesn't go.

You are hereby empowered to wear denim.

Bring this note with you, in case you are stopped by the fashion police.

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:01 AM

Ira points out the most important rule: it all has to fit in one rolling suitcase (plus carry on).

You are allowed to wear denim (jeans), but many do not consider it practical.
The problem with denim is: it is very bulky in your suitcase, takes way too long to clean (dry) in a laundromat, can look to dressed-down, and can be uncomfortable.

Khaki-type and pull-on pants (and a skirt if you are comfortable wearing them) don't have those problems.

But if you really prefer wearing jeans, go for it.

Everything should match, more or less, so you can mix it up. Take a sweater to layer over everything, maybe a lite rain/jacket for May.

For a 10 day trip I would take

3-4 bottoms (pants/skirts for day)
7-8 tops (nice t-shirt like)
2-3 over-tops (long sleeve, 1 sweater)
1 nice evening outfit
1 pr comfortable walking shoes
1 pr nice shoes
undies, sox, swimsuit, pjs, lite jacket/raincoat, ...
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:13 AM
hsv

You can expect temperatures to be in the high 50ies to low 60ies with Freiburg likely to be the warmest of your destinations and Hamburg the coolest.

Be prepared to dress in layers. Bring something that will get you through a shower.

Hamburg in parts is quite stylish IMHO, so be prepared to have some dressy casual clothes available. If you have a nice pair of jeans (there are some currently pretty hot models around that sell for outrageous prices), they will do at least during the day. For the evenings they should be combined with a nice shirt to not feel out of place.

Berlin is much more casual. About everything goes there.

Do not have too much experience with Freiburg.

Do you need suggestions on where to stay, what to see and where to go? I can probably fill in some info on Hamburg and Berlin.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:13 AM

I'll tag on to the expert advice here and ask about wearing jeans in Munich, Bamberg, Wittenberg and Cochem. HSV, your insight about jeans being acceptable in Berlin, but less so in Hamburg is interesting. Do you know if they are OK in any of these other cities? Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:22 AM
hsv

WanderWoman,

basically jeans are o.k. everywhere. If you go to one or more of the hipper places in big cities, they might be more fashionable than anything else - provided you've got the right brand and - very important- you combine them with something nice.

Of the big cities in Germany, Berlin is probably the most casual. Hamburg is bi-polar, in parts stylish, in other parts shabby (but many times shabby-chic). Munich is chic, hands down. People seem to dress up just when walking out the door IMHO.
I wouldn't bother too much anyway - and much less so for the smaller cities you mention.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:04 AM

If you DON'T wear jeans in Germany these days, you'll look like you're headed to work. Everybody wears them. Sunday strollers seem to be the exception.