Germany train travel options or car?

Feb 12th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Germany train travel options or car?

I have read several posts on Fodors about the Lander-ticket for the trains where 5 people traveling together pay 25 euros for same day train travel on regional or local trains.

There are 4 adults and one child traveling.

Here is our plan so far and I am not sure if we need a car or if a train would be cheaper for us:

Day 1: Flying into Munich and going to Octoberfest that evening.

Day 2: Visit the 2 Castles Neuwanstein (sp)

Day 3: See sights in Munich

Day 4: Depart Munich for Heidleberg cost on the bahn.de sight says that this fare is 56 euros each when priced separately on the ICE train system, Can we use the Lander ticket instead of the Ice?

Day 5: Day trip via train to towns near Heidleberg - Speyer, Worms, etc. Can we do this via train?

Day 6: Visit sights of Heidleberg

Day 7: Depart Heidleberg for Frankfurt for afternoon flight back to US.

If we really can use the trains for all of us to travel I figured it would cost us around 100 euros - cheaper than a car.

Are all of these places accesible by local trains and this type of ticket?
Any advice on places to see in between if a car is recommended instead of the train? Or any other suggestions welcome!

Thanks so much!!!
Feb 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Unless something has changed very recently, Laender tickets can only be used within that state. They are good only on local trains--though some allow you to pay a supplement for other trains.

Munich and Heidelberg are not in the same state, so your Bavarian Laender ticket would not apply.

Have you checked out the other types of passes at www.bahn.de? Click on Internat. Guests for English.
Feb 12th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Where can I find a map of the regions like where Bavaria ends, etc?

Thanks
Feb 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM

>http://www.geodaten.bayern.de/bvv_we...oads/bay_n.pdf

This is the site of the "Bavarian State Office for Geoinformation"
Unfortunately the better maps aren't free. They publish 2 CDs every year with detailed stereoscopic maps.
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

I figured it out and I think we will be having a car now.

Any recommendations for places to visit on the way from Munich to Heidleberg?

Thanks
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:42 PM

There used to be a "happy weekend" (I can't remember the german term) ticket that would allow a party of five to travel the regional trains throughout Germany for something like 35 euros. Is that still available on the weekends?
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Personally, I would rent a car for the flexibility and the convenience. With trains, although frequent, you will be making a TON of stops, and this will greatly increase your travel times in the smaller regions. Driving in Germany is no problem, and you will get a great perspective on the small villages, and stop and visit what you want.
Just a thought!
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Me and my husband rented a car in Germany and it was awesome. We rented it in Munich and went to Berchtesgaden, Salzburg and Frankfurt stopping overnight at Rothenburg od Tauber. This town is beautiful, it was one of the highlights of my trip and it's only about 40-45 min from Frankfurt.

Driving in Germany is really easy and you get to places really fast. Since you only going to be there for a week I would recommend renting a car. Plus you can drive really fast!

Feb 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Hi
One recommendation. Switch Day 1 and day 3 intinerary around. Fly all night and Octoberfest in the same day is a killer. I know, been there done that.
Enjoy Fudgie