germany to poland

May 21st, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

germany to poland

I need some travel advice. Next month I plan to go from Nuremberg to Auschwitz. I would like some advice on how to travel. I am considering the train, but I would like some practical advice. Thanks.
May 21st, 2006, 08:15 AM

The quickest option is probably flying. But I must admit I cannot help with this.

Another option is to take the train. The most economical route is via Dresden-Görlitz, where you should break up the trip (half way, about 8 hours) and continue the next day (or maybe spend another day in either Dresden or Görlitz ) via Wroclaw to Krakow.

For the travel Nuremberg - Dresden - Görlitz you can take regional (relatively slow) trains only, which allows you to purchase so called "Länder-Tickets" for each Bavaria and Saxony. Much cheaper than standard fares. These tickets are valid for travels from 9 am on till midnight and for up to 5 persons (on 1 ticket). Cost is 24 Euro for Saxony ticket e.g.
May 21st, 2006, 08:23 AM

Perhaps a compromise: Take the train to Praha/Czech Republic and rent a car there. Auschwitz is not far from the polish/czech border.
I am not sure , but it can be a problem to rent a car in germany and use it in Poland or the Czech Republic.

Search this Thread