Germany to Northern Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying in to Munich and flying out of Milan,Italy. We have 16 days. What should we see? I am asking because of the time crunch. Also is it best to rent a car in this area? Thanks.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM

What time of year---all the difference?
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

June 11th. Thanks Bob, your travel pics on TA are great!!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 08:58 AM

The problem is the car and a big drop charge in Italy if you rent it in Germany. Here is one plan:
Arrive Munich--stay 2 nites
Train to Salzburg, get car, drive to St. Gilgen on Wolfgangsee---3 nites with day trip to Hallstatt
Drive to Bavarian castles--stay in Oberammergau---2 nites
Drive to Innsbruck---drop car---train to Venice--4 nites
Train to Verona---2 nites
Train to Varenna on Lake Como via Milan--4 nites
Train to Milan--last 2 nites

That is a start---good luck !
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM

Another important question...what do you like to see and do?

If it is mountains and scenic vistas you seek, you should definitely head to the Dolomites and Lake Como for part of your visit (and rent a car). You do need to check on the drop-off fee for the car. 16 days is quite a good length of time, you should be pleased! We took a one-week driving tour roundtrip from Stuttgart, with stopovers in Hall (Austria), Ortisei, Bellagio, and Kandersteg (Switzerland). Trip report with photos if you are interested...
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...f-the-alps.cfm
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

We are 2 couples. Interests include: Italian Rivera, very old things, mountain scenery, and some museums. Are the Dolomites and Lake Como areas totally different or simular? Bob's ideas are great only no Riveria. This is helpful. Thanks
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM

I live on the Italian Riviera, by choice, and I consider the Dolomiti and Lago di Como two of the most beautiful places I've ever seen in Europe, and the Dolomiti are genuine wonders of the world, with nothing like them.

You should talk with car rental agencies and discuss with your travel partners about the car rental drop-off fees. In many cases, I've found paying the drop-off fee far preferable to losing a day of travel to trying to avoid it with dumb stops and train connections.

That said, one thing you might look into is spending a few days in and around Munich and then flying to Genova on the Italian Riviera, and proceed by train to a pretty beachside locale. (Camogli might work for you, or points further south along the coast.)

Pick up a car in Rapallo or La Spezia, and for very old things, head back up through Parma through Mantova, Verona and on to Trento, and then into the Dolomiti.

Return via Lago di Garda and Lago di Como, fly out of Milan.

But like I said, the drop-off fee may look nominal in the overall context of your trip, and the drive from Munich to the Dolomiti isn't a back breaker. After a some time in Dolomiti, either swing over to Lago di Como, followed by the Italian Riviera, and drive back toward Milano to fly out. (Maybe last night in Bergamo or Pavia for "old things" lovers?)

Or, see Lago di Como after the Dolomiti, on your way to the Italian Riviera. I might lose the car there (drop it off in Rapallo), and leave the Riviera in time to spend your last night in Milan. There are old things there, too, if you know where to look. And great, great food for a farewell dinner.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I am so excited! These ideas are really helpful. Should we forgo the Italian Riveria or not? Is it as nice as the Amalfi coast? Thanks Llilley
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM

The drop-off fee may not be that bad, as zeppole points out. I once rented a car in Germany and dropped it off in France and the fee was less than $100. Worth it, for our purposes.

I can't help re: Riviera vs. Amalfi since I haven't been to either, but to answer your previous question, the Dolomites and Lake Como are TOTALLY different. The Dolomites are a complex of rugged snow-capped spires where you can experience great scenic drives, take trams or chairlifts up to awe-inspiring views, do some fantastic hiking (as easy or strenuous as you desire), and get a taste of the interesting Germanic-influenced culture of the region (many of the people you meet speak Italian, German, and English, and/or a local dialect). Lake Como is drop-dead gorgeous, but you go there more to relax - sit at a lakeside restaurant or cafe, take in the views, do a little shopping, take a boat ride, maybe visit a few villas and gardens, that sort of thing. Both fabulous experiences, neither to be missed!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM

You started in Munich for a reason, I would make sure you take advantage of those areas first. The Salzburg region and the castle country are worth a week. Venice and Lake Como would be my first chocies in Italy.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM

I'm gatherin up information for a similar trip so I appreciate all the advice given here and on other threads. We'll arrive in Milano On July 3 (from London) and make our way up to and fly from Munich 10 days later. Since we have friends in Milan, I would like to do day trips to the Como area and Dolomites if possible. I have one BIG question, what will the weather be like in Bavaria and the Dolomites in early July? I don't like hot weather so I'm hoping Bavaria and the Dolomites are are not as hot as Milano which I've experienced in July. A second question, given these priorities--Como, Dolomites, Bavaria and Salzburg--how many days would you give to each and can we do any day trips to these using Milano as a base?
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM

llilley,

In addition to what haufrau posted about the tremendous difference in scenery between the lakes and the Dolomiti, I will also add that seeing the Dolomiti is seeing a natural wonder sight on the scale of the Grand Canyon, although it is going up instead of down, and it is a different shade of coral. There are indescribable, and shocking. Lago di Como is quite romantic, with a very protected, lush feel.

But don't let people here twist your arm about where you go. Work it out with your friends.

sarahmarie,

You can't day trip to the Dolomiti from Milano, but you can go up to Lago di Como for lunch. The Milanese escape the heat of Milan by heading up to both places, but the lakes can be humid. You'll just have to check weather reports. (Can't answer at all about Bavaria).

If you are working your way up to Munich, any consideration of giving the Dolomiti a few days en route? They are spectacular if you like spectacular sights, and the mountain elevation will mean cooler dry air, although the sun might be fierce.

If Milan is your base, cool day trips are going to hard to come by. You might check out Lago Maggiore, but also consider venues with great air-conditioned museums and shopping, like Torino. But last year, in the first week of July, northern Italy suffered a dreadful heat wave in which even beach locations felt like tropical swamps. Head for places with air-con.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Zeppole, thank you for your insight. I know we will do Como and/or Lago Maggiore area and the Dolomites. I'm not sure if Munich and Salzburg are such a good ideas. While certainly doable, they're further from Milano than I thought and I may find in my research closer places to enjoy such as your great tip--Torino. I'll be looking at Bavaria and Switzerland--cooler environs if possible. Or, I may just find that we can head north and stop at a few places in Bavaria on our way to Munich.
Any further suggestions will be most appreciated.