Reload this Page >

Germany,Switzerland and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 05:50 PM
O and T

My wife and I are planning a trip to Bavaria, Swizerland and Paris in March. However, we are concerned because it still being winter of closing of some attractions. Any advice? Sights to see in Bavaria? How long is ample time in Bavaria? Would it be safe to drive this time of year? Is Munich the plce to stay or Salzburg??

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 04:18 AM
the turnip

Well, a lot depends on what you plan on seeing in Switzerland. March I'm afraid is rather early to much hiking. Skiing is still an option however. Have you considered saving Switzerland for a later trip when the weather might be more favorable to enjoy CH's best sights? There's certainly plenty to see between Paris and Bavaria. <BR> <BR>As for Munich IMHO it's over rated. Salzburg has much more charm, is less expensive and you could still easily do Munich as a day trip from there. <BR> <BR>In Bavaria some must see's include out of the way antique shopping, Ludwig's castles (which are even more stunning in the snow I think) and if the boats are running a ride on the Konigsee. <BR> <BR>If you'd like some suggestions on where to stay feel free to drop me a line! <BR> <BR>tpr aka the teutonic turnip

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 09:59 AM
O nd T

We will be going in late March. Do you think some attractions in Bavaria, Lucerne and Paris will be closed because of the winter season or are we close enough to spring. What about Innsbrook is it worth it or just another ski town we could see the same is the U. S. Is the romactic road worth it? Do boats in Lucerne and Konigsee run the last two weeks in March? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your previous quick reply!!

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 04:15 PM
Linda

Munich is more centrally located. If the Passion Play in Oberammagau is going on & you can get tickets, you should. It happens every decade. You can take a day trip to Bertchesgaden (Hitler's Eagles Next) or go on to Salzburg, Austria. If you have time, I highly recommend Berlin--incredible city with so much history, culture, and relatively inexpensive. A cruise up the Rhine is nice or the Romantic Road to Rothenburg. In Switzerland, be sure to go to Interlaken and take the train to the Jungfrau.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 05:09 PM
Bob

We have done Bavaria in the winter many times. You will find it safe to drive unless you get caught in the middle of a storm. Otherwise, they maintain the roads well. <BR> <BR>Some things will be closed. Road to Eagle's nest, Alpine road, etc. The castles will be open, I think. At least they were in Nov and Dec. <BR> <BR>Good town to stay in is Berchtesgaden. You can do the Salt Mine in any weather and it is fun. Koingsee Lake cruise should also be running. From Berchtesgaden to Salzburg is a very easy day trip. <BR> <BR>Good location for castles is Garmisch. From there easy trip to Linderhof and over to Neuschwanstein. <BR> <BR>Innsbruck to me is Ho-Hum. Downtown has one small area to see and then not much. I would spend my time in the outlying small towns and only do Innsbruck if you have plenty of time to kill. <BR> <BR>Additional sites to see in Bavaria: Ride to top of Zugspitz in Garmisch if weather is clear. It is expensive, but beautiful view. Visit Oberammergau and the wood carving shops. Passion Play will also be going on as it does every 10 years on ZERO ending years. Wies church on the way dring to Neuschwanstein. Old castle at top of hill in Salzburg. Good tour. Take a Sound of Music tour. Sounds corny, but you see some great countryside and they have fun with the tour. <BR> <BR>Any other questions, just email me. If you do the Romantic Road I also have info about Rothenburg, the main city to visit.

Old Dec 31st, 1999, 07:25 AM
Ben

Passion Play will not be going on in March. I think it starts about May 21st. Salzburg is definitely (in my opinion) a much better place to visit than Munich. I think the tour to Hitler's Eagle's Nest isn't open until early may, so you may miss that. There are lots of charming places to stay in southern Bavaria. Don't miss Reit im Winkl. It's a neat town not far from Berchtesgaden. My wife and I have been to this area five times, and we are going again in May. Have fun!

Old Dec 31st, 1999, 07:53 PM
harzer

Some places in Bavaria to the north-east of Munich that are well worth visiting, but rather off the regular tourist track, are Passau, Regensburg, Nuremberg and Wuerzburg and villages in between. Pity you have missed the Nuremberg Christkindlmarkt, a big pre-Xmas fair.