Germany's Christmas Markets

Oct 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Germany's Christmas Markets

I've been to a number of Christmas Markets in Germany and am looking forward to many more. The aroma of mulled wine, sausages, gingerbread, and roasted chestnuts is reason enough to visit. I found this website that has 4 dream itineraries that you might find interesting.

"Historic Highlights of Germany has compiled this itinerary as the first leg of four regional tours of the country that will allow you to experience the best of its Christmas markets."

http://www.historicgermany.com/
Oct 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM

Christmas Markets are always fun (and I can't wait for that season). But I think this website is disappointing. For example, #3 promises historic highlights/Christmas Markets in the East. Except for Erfurt this is not true. They ignore *the* Christmas country in Germany - the Erzgebirge mountains. Not even Dresden is on the schedule, which has the oldest German Christmas Market.
Oct 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Ingo. I didn't read all of the website, but was interested in the medieval market in Wurzburg.

Is the market in Dresden still in temporary quarters this year?
Oct 19th, 2008, 03:36 PM

Dutch - I don't know what you are referring to "in temp. quarters." So I am waiting for Ingo's response also. I will say that the historic market in Dresden is one of my favorites and I am looking forward to seeing it again this year. Like Ingo, I can't wait for the season, either. CJ
Oct 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

CJ - I thought that last year's market in Dresden was moved due to construction. If I can't make it to Dresden this year I'll have to rely again on imported stollen.
Oct 20th, 2008, 12:51 AM

According to what I saw and read in Dresden last month, the construction works in Altmarkt square are almost finished and Striezelmarkt will return to its original location this year.

Let's hope they'll also finish the works in the Stallhof in time for the historic market.
Oct 20th, 2008, 02:15 AM

Yes, the main Christmas Market in Dresden (Striezelmarkt) was moved to Ferndinandsplatz last year because of construction works on the Altmarkt square. These works are almost finished and the Striezelmarkt will be held on Altmarkt square again. Thank god.

The medieval Christmas Market in the Stallhof (part of the Royal Palace) will also be held in the original place again. The restoration works after the fire last year are on a good way and will be finished soon. More thanks to god
Oct 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Thank you! Thank you! CJ