Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Germany - Rothenburg ob der Tauber or Berchtesgaden (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/germany-rothenburg-ob-der-tauber-or-berchtesgaden-980594/)

beachlovinmom Jun 5th, 2013 07:08 PM

Germany - Rothenburg ob der Tauber or Berchtesgaden

Looking for some advice as I cant decide which to choose. There will be a group of us mixed ages from 15 - 78. Interested in beautiful scenery, quaint towns, history.

alan43 Jun 5th, 2013 07:40 PM

Hi Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a very quaint, touristy town. It is a nice place to walk around and it still maintains its medieval appearance. During the day it is very crowded with day bus tourists and a lot of thwe town is oscured by the number of visitors. We stayed overnight and found it to be very nice and much better than during the day. It is one of the niceest towns I've visited.

We also spent a couple of days at Berchtesgaden. a couple of years ago and found the toned of the town to be different than Rothenburg. It was not medieval, but rather a pleasnt town, less touristed. The one thing that disturbed me was the mural in the center of town of Nazi soldiers who came from the town. The painting of Nazis disturbed me, but otherwise it was a pleasant stay.

beachlovinmom Jun 5th, 2013 07:43 PM

I'm wondering whether Rothenburg would have enough to amuse the teens besides just walking around town. I feel like Berchtesgaden might have more to do like the salt mines, konigsee, eagle's nest.

gailscout Jun 5th, 2013 07:59 PM

Could you tell us when you are going - I was just in both towns last month.

fourfortravel Jun 6th, 2013 12:06 AM

We thought a full day and night in Rothenburg was sufficient; at the time we went our children were 9 and 14. Walking along the wall and stopping to investigate things entertained all of us for a half day; the other half was divided between climbing the tower and a couple of small galleries/museums. We took the Nightwatchman's tour and enjoyed it. On the same trip we moved on to Salzburg for three nights. Touring Salzburg, Konigsee, and the salt mines, plus a drive out to Mondsee and Wolfgangsee kept us all more than entertained. If you have to decide between the two, I would choose Berchtesgaden.

Woyzeck Jun 6th, 2013 08:46 AM

I agree with the above sentiment. I have been to Rothenburg ob der Tauber twice - and I think it works best as either a day trip or one overnight. I don't think it's meant for much longer than than.

Berchtesgaden is better as a place to spend a longer period of time, not because the town itself has more to offer than Rothenburg, but because there is so much to see in the surrounding area.

So if you are choosing a day trip or quick getaway, you might pick Rothenburg, but if you are looking for a place to spend 4 or 5 days you'd do well in the Berchtesgadener Land and surrounding region.

katherinebw Jun 6th, 2013 09:23 AM

I was in Rothenburg several years ago and it was indeed a charming, quaint, but touristy town with lots of shopping. You all might enjoy the Night Watchman's tour if it's still being done. It was a highlight of our stay there.

eluckhardt Jun 6th, 2013 11:15 AM

ditto previous comments. RodT is good for a short stay. Berchtesgaden area (we stayed at the Best Western in Ramsau) has more to offer for a longer stay, but you will have to drive around.