Germany - restaurant recs needed in a few cities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're gearing up for our trip next month, and I'd love to get recommendations on restaurants in the following cities if you have any. I'd been gathering a list from posts on here over the last few months, but I think my computer ate it.

any and all cuisines and price ranges welcome. thanks in advance!

- Munich
- Fussen
- Rothenburg
- Heidelberg
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
JN

I'll offer a few restaurant alternatives featuring hearty german fare:

--Hackerhaus on Sendlinger strasse--awesome food, huge selection (try the Obazter appetiser), excellent beers and terrific apple strudel.

--Donisl, on Marienplatz. Many pork dishes, good beer, oompa band atmosphere, great prices

--Andechser am Dom--near the Frauenkirche, behind Marienplatz. their schnitzel is the best we've ever eaten, many other pork dishes, terrific beers.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:56 PM
JN

OOPS--should have mentioned that my recos were for Munich.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:41 AM

Munich: Spöckmeyer in Sendlinger Straße, just round the corner from Marienplatz. Good quality Bavarian style food for affordable prices, comfortable and quiet.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Munich:

- Augustiner, Neuhauser Straße 27, for regional fare in historical ambiance. Price level: 15 - 25 Euros. http://www.augustiner-restaurant.com/

- Lenbach, Ottostrasse 6, for more innovative cuisine in breathtaking ambiance (a neobaroque palace redesigned by Terence Conran). Price level: 35 - 50 Euros.
http://www.lenbach.de

Rothenburg:

To be frank, most restaurants in Rothenburg are tourist traps, offering simple, unsophisticated dishes.

However, for a culinary experience, there is a Michelin-star-rated restaurant just outside the medieval wall: Mittermeier.
http://www.mittermeier.rothenburg.de/ISY/
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 05:34 AM

The food in Rothenburg isn't bad, it's just simple. Expect sausage with saurkraut and salt potatoes and a mug of beer. Heidelberg has a great place to sit and have some tea and cake. WinterGarten on the left hand side of the Haupstrasse (leaving the castle) is a great place for something sweet. They make their own desserts and chocolates! Just order your slice from the cake display and bring your ticket to a table. Then you can order tea or coffee from the waitress. If you are renting a car or want to get out of town I highly recommend going to Ladenburg. It is a walled medievl city, like Rothenburg. Head to Die Kartoffel (the potato) on Kirchenstrasse. Make a reservation first though! they have amazing steaks that you cook at your table on a heated granite stone. They are famous for their huge baked potatos drowning in a herbed sour cream (other options are available, like caviar cream or Roquefort butter. For about 20 Euro you can get a nice filet, a salad, potato, 3 dipping sauces and a good beer. Ladenburg is a nice little town for strolling around in too.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:18 AM

In Munich - definitely second (third?) the recommendations for the Andecher Am Dom and the Hackerhaus. The beer at Andecher was our second favorite in Germany Food was very good too. We also enjoyed eating in the beer gardens. The Hirschgarten near Nymphenberg Palace was our favorite.

We only ate at one place in Rothenberg - it was a little outdoor place behind the Gasthof Spitaltor. Nice atmosphere, very relaxing, and good food.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Heidelberg is wall to wall food - in every different ethnic variety you can imagine.

Thai - Supan's on the Hauptstrasse is quick, good and reasonable.

Pub - Dubliner - Irish pub on the Hauptstrasse - great atmosphere, friendly people, good food, decent prices.

German - Can't remember the translation - The Golden Sheep -on the Hauptstrasse (see a pattern?) very, very good food - the sauerbrauten is amazing, but not always on the menu. Friendly service....

Italian - Le Palme - on the Hauptstrasse - little bit pricy, but very good.

Real German - Vetter's - off the Hauptstrasse on the road that leads to the Alte Brucke (old bridge). good beer - good sausage - realllly good fried potatoes.

If you need to know more about HD food - email me - [email protected] - I eat out there all the time and have had 2 bad meals in about 8 years...
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Munich, 2 weeks ago we ate at the Augustiner restaurant/beer hall on Neuhauser, which part of the pedestrian zone from the Marienplatz. Best beer in the world and excellent food. If you like liver, it was the best. Going back to Munich tomorrow, maybe we will go there again.

Also good but expensive is the food at the 5 star Kempinski Hotel on Maximilianstrasse.

Any of the beer gardens are good for traditional food as well. Try the haxen, spit-roasted leg of pork. Another good beer and garden is at the Paulaner Brewery (http://www.paulaner.de/) at Hochstrasse 75 on the Nockherberg. The beer garden in the Englisher Garden may have a band.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

you guys are so great! Thanks so much for these - what an enormous help!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:21 PM

bktport, Augustiner is also my favorite beer. Haven't been to this place, only the beer garden near the train station, but putting it on my list for next year. Yes, I do like liver.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM

We also loved the Augustiner in Munich. Great beer, good food and ok service, fantastic prices.