Need Your Help - Traveling with Someone Unable to Walk Long Distances

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of ours who has been a diabetic for many years now has nerve damage in his feet and has trouble walking. We want him to join us on our trip to GErmany and Switz in May and are trying to figure out what we can still do while minimizing the distances we need to walk.

We are staying in Lauterbrunnen and want to go up to Schilthorn. I know you take different transportation methods at each stage from Stelchelberg to Murren, etc. til you get to Schilthorn. Is it easy to change from one to the other? Does it require a lot of walking?

We will also be staying in Bacharach on the Rhine and plan to drive to Koblenz and maybe over to the cable car in Assmanshausen. Can this be done without a lot of walking? Where can you cross from one side of the river to the other? Is there a bride or do you have to take a ferry?

Anything else you can think of that can be done in either of these places that doesn't require a lot of walking?
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM

What do you mean bya lot of walking., Can your friend walk several blocks - but not miles? If so - you should be fine.

Or is anything more than a couple of steps out of the question. If so I can only suggest that you get a folding wheelchair to stow in the car - since there are very few places at which you can bring your car directly to the door of any attraction.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Have you looked at the Rick Steves' book Easy Access Europe? I can't recommend it, as I've never needed to use it, but it is the only travel book I've seen soley written for travellers in your situation.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. It's one of those things where he might be able to walk half a mile one day but only a block the next. I think we'll be fine with Schilthorn but just wanted confirmation from someone who had been there.

I'll check out the Rick Steves book too.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Maybe there is somewhere near the airport you could rent a scooter? Some type of medical supply store? We traveled with someone who was a little slower than us and it was very frustrating at times.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Betty -

The Schilthorn shouldn't be a problem for your friend as long as you take the cable car from Steckelberg. DON'T take the funicular and train from Lauterbrunnen to Murren (which will be closing soon anyway), because then you'll have to walk from the Murren train station to the Schilthorn cable station, which is at the other end of the village.

I assume you'll be driving or taking a bus from Lauterbrunnen to Steckelberg? If so, not much walking is involved. Just getting from the parking lot to the cable station, (which has steps if memory serves) then very little walking between the cable cars at Gimmelwald and Murren.

Yes, it's very easy to change from one to the other and shouldn't present any problems.

Good luck.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

MelNQ8, that's what I needed to know. Thanks. We will have a car and were planning to drive from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 09:15 PM

How about taking one of those folding can/chairs? You carry it like a cane until you unfold it into a chair/stool. Might help if there are no benches around.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Just reread my post, it is a cane/chair not a can! That would be going overboard!

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

SeaUrchin, the can(e)/chair is a great idea. Thanks.