Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Germany Netherlands (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/germany-netherlands-1013481/)

Mioara May 5th, 2014 12:36 PM

Germany Netherlands

My sister and I will be traveling in June-arrive to Stuttgart on the 14th and leave from Manheim on the 19th. We are thinking of using the days in between to travel North West towards the Netherlands, as far as Amsterdam, to take in the sights and experience the culture.
I would appreciate any suggestions for such a trip. Also any suggestions about transportation, i.e rented car vs train.

PalenQ May 5th, 2014 01:05 PM

With that short time I'd take the train - cars are not much use in cities, especially Amsterdam. And the trains are so so fantastic in both countries.

With that short of time I'd stay in Germany - Amsterdam needs three days or so to really appreciate.

Consider hitting the Rhine River and taking the K-D boats thru the best part of the Rhine - the Rhine Gorge between Rudesheim/Bingen and Koblenz (www.k-d.com) - Heidelberg is a nice old town - one of the few not blitzed to bits in WW2 andia not far from Stuttgart - a lively university town.

Frankfurt itself can be interesting for a day or so (well for many more but you have limited time.

I would find a base for all five nights in the Frankfurt-Heidelberg area - Heidelberg would be a great nice base - easy day trips to the Rhine, Frankfurt and nice Rhine side towns like Mainz, Speyer or Worms, etc.

Use the Lander Cards for unlimited local train and bus transportation for the whole day - two can have one for about 29-39 euros a day - can't use faster trains but in a compact area you do not need to.

For lots of goodies on trains check out these IMO fantastic sites: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Amsterdam is 4-5 hours I think from Mannheim each way - too far for such a limited time unless you go there right away and come back to Mannheim.

PalenQ May 6th, 2014 07:18 AM

I think Heidelberg would make a sweet base - nice old town and really close to Mannheim - easy day trips to the Rhine and not far from Stuttgart. One base means no packing up and losing a half day about relocating.

PalenQ May 6th, 2014 09:44 AM

If you want to go to Amsterdam then try to book a discounted ticket for as low as 29-39 euros at www.bahn.de/en - the German Railways site - just show up and pay the piper a whole whole lot more. Ditto for Amsterdam to Mannheim.

Amsterdam is great but if that is your choice I'd spend all my time getting there, there and getting back.

PalenQ May 8th, 2014 05:24 AM

How about Bavaria and Munich spend all your time there - doing day trips to places like Fuessen and Neuschwanstein Castle - 'Mad' Ludwig's fantasy castle or Salzburg, Austria - one of the most exqisitely gorgeous cities in Europe or Rothenburg - the primo walled medieval city of your dreams - then blast back to Mannehim by ICE high-speed train.

Stuttgart to Munich is a short enough train ride.