Germany/Italy Itinerary

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:36 PM
carli moniz

Germany/Italy Itinerary

Hello,
This is a fabulous site for travel advise. I
could use your help in planning my first trip to Europe. We (four adults) arrive in
Frankfurt on May 10 and Fly out of Rome May 24. Could the following be a possible itinerary?: Arrive Frankfurt 7:30 a.m. on 5/10. Rent a car and drive Romantic road route to castle area (Garmish?)to Munich. Train from Munich to Florence (is this possible?) to meet friends in Tuscany for 7-9 days. We want to spend our last three days in or near Rome before we fly back home on 5/24. Any hotels, B&B's in or near Rome you liked? Would prefer more on the quiet side,yet close to action to walk. Thanks,Carli

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Charles

Carli - let me get this straight - you have 14 days in Europe, 10 to 12 of which need to be in Italy and in the 2 to 4 remaining days you want to drive the romantic road, see the castle area in Bavaria and see Munich! My advice would be to get on the next plane from Frankfurt to Florence or Venice and leave Germany for another trip.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Mary Ann

That is a long drive after flying. You might want to consider this. We have flown into Frankfurt, rented the car and gotten to Rothenburg by noon. It is a terrific 16th century Medieval walled town. It is a walking town to get you out in the sunshine which will help you with jet lag. The latest event would be the "night watchman's tour" which is wonderful and also walking. Then you can hit the sack by 8 or 9 and be ready to drive the next day. Continue down the romantic road to Munich. You could stop on the way in to see Dachau the concentration camp. In Munich if you spend 2 nights you could either do a day trip to fussen to see the castle of just do a bike tour of the city and the brew halls.
Just a suggestion, good luck.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:19 PM
carli

Thank you for your suggestions and comments. It has given me a better
plan to think about.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:30 PM
steve

Carli,

I fully agree with Mary Ann's suggestion to stop in Rothenburg first (if only to recharge your batteries), if you're intent on driving the Romantic Road to the famous castles. Although a very touristy town, Rothenburg would be a great introduction to Germany. The Night Watchman's tour is a must-do.

There are many here on this forum (like Charles) who think you can't visit a city unless you have at least a month to spend there, but many people don't have that luxury, so if you want to see Munich quickly, it is doable. You might think about trimming Tuscany to only 6-7, however, to give yourself more time in Bavaria to see the castles and Munich.

To further maximize your time, I recommend a night train from Munich to Florence. I have done this trip this past year. I hate night trains, but travel them often because it is the best way to travel long distances without losing precious daylight.

If you choose the night train and all four of you would like to sleep in the same compartment, I also recommend you reserve tickets/sleepers 1-2 months in advance, as this is a popular travel time. Think about signing up for the Bahn Card for everyone (www.bahn.de - click on international traveler's link), since the price of the card would more than pay for itself (if you travel as a group and book in advance).

Good Luck!
Steve

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Charles

Carli - don't understand why Steve had to trash as I have never recommended that you need to spend a month in one city and indeed never have. I don't have that luxury either and don't know why one should assume I did. I was only pointing out that you have 13 days in Europe of which 3 need to be in Rome and 7-9 need to be in Tuscany - that leaves you 1 -3 days for the Germany portion of your vacation (with three different sites to see). Yes, it can be done, but it will be extremely rushed and very tight. I still recommend you spend all 13 days of your vacation in Italy, and save Germany for a later date.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Ira

Hi Carli
You can take a direct train from Munich to Florence. See
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en? the German rail line.

May I suggest that you take the train from Munich to Venice, spend 2 days there and then go on to Florence?

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:55 PM
carli moniz

Hello and thanks for all your suggestions. My revised itinerary could be: 5/10 arrive in Frankfurt and drive to small town near Rothenburg. Overnight. Drive to Bavaria castle area
spend two nights. I do not have a clue where.
Any recommendations? Day trips to to see area. Drive to Munich and overnight. Train next morning to Florance. Spend rest of trip in Tuscany area. Any recommendations on what town would be a good home base to stay at while touring that region? I know of a place in Poppi. I belive it is a farmhouse accomodation l l/2 hour from Florence. I would like to spend some time in the Chianti area as well. My last day and overnight would be somewhere outside of Rome. Departure is
5/24 out of Rome at 11:30 a.m. I'll have to see Rome another trip. Could this work?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Bill

Near Rothenburg we stayed at the castle hotel in Colmberg--18 km east of Rburg. Very nice. Free parking, excellent restaurant. Doubles from 74 euro up--rooms modernized; great views.

For King Ludwig's castles, we stayed in Hohenschwangau at Pension Albrecht. Free parking, you can walk to the castle ticket booth and starting points.

I would skip Munich this trip--you really do need 2 or 3 days there. Rtnbg and Ludwig's castles will be plenty. On the way to the castles, you can lunch in a town like Dinkelsbuhl, and stop at Wieskirche, an interesting short stop just a bit north of Hohenschwangau/Fussen. Email me if you want more info.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Mark

My wife (28) and I (30) did the same trip last October. I researched this trip for hundreds of hours (I analyze everything to death). Spent 16 nights. NOTE we move fast (116 on autobahn) and see things only that interest us.

Day 1 Flew into franfurt at 8:00 am, drove along mosel (stopped at a couple of towns and burg eltz). Night in castle along Rhine.
Day 2 drove rest of Rhine then on to Rothenburg. Night there.
Day 3 drove to ludwigs castle, night in oberammergau.
Day 4 munich for ocktoberfest, oberammergau night
Day 5 drive to Berthesgaden, stopping in small towns. Schonau night
Day 6 Salzberg day trip and Kongisee.Schonau night
Day 7 Hallstatt and small Austrian towns.Schonau night
Day 8 Drive to Venice via Gross Glockner and through Dolomites. Venice night
Day 9 Venice all day and night there.
Day 10 Drive to cinque terre. Manorala night.
Day 11 Cinque terre hiking. Manorala night
Day 12 Drive to Porofino, then drive to chianti. Panzano night
Day 13 Florence day trip. Panzano night
Day 14 Siena and San gimignano. Panzano night
Day 15 Drive to rome. Rome night
Day 16 Rome. Rome night
Day 17 Fly out at noon.

I remember every minute and would not have changed a thing. If I were to recommend to someone, I would not go back to Venice, Salzberg and that area, Florence, Siena. My recommendation, spend equal amount of time in smaller towns as in large towns. Like instead of munich go to the Garmisch area.

I have not looked at the board since the day before I left--don't want to get hooked.

Later.