Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany in late March to pick up our BMW need a little help from my fodorite friends...

Notices

Germany in late March to pick up our BMW need a little help from my fodorite friends...

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have about 2 weeks to travel around before we drop off the car and head for home. We will be arriving on March 23rd. I know that this time of year is not the best but... with free airfare!

My thoughts:
Starting in Munich to pick up car
? nights in Munich
2 nights in Rotenburg (Wurzburg one day) taking the Romantic Rd. south to Bavaria
stay ?? nights
Fussen,Hohenschwangau, Oberammergau? Also want to see Salzburg and possibly drop the car off in Vienna.

Any suggestions are most welcome! We really wanted to go into the Swiss Alps, but with a new car and possibly adverse weather conditions it probably isn't the smartest thing to do.

We can drop car in Vienna, Frankfort, Munich, Zurich, Geneva
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:05 PM

Momincv,

We have pretty much beat this topic to death over the past 10 days. Use the search box above and enter spartacus. There are several threads of interest.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:49 AM
ira

Hi momincy,

I suggest 2 nights in Munich.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:21 AM

Hi, We picked up a BMW last May. We primarily went to Italy, so I can't help much with your itinerary. We did go to Salzburg and I would suggest 2 nights there. If you haven't been to bimmerfest.com forums, I would suggest going there too. I have seen many itineraries similar to yours on their forum. Have a good trip!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:27 AM

If you haven't been to Vienna or salzburg I highly suggest you spend a couple of days in each of these cities. They are both beautiful and interesting.

You might consider a couple of days in Hallstatt depending on the weather conditions.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:37 AM

Have you looked into doing one of the Conde Nast Tours? We're doing the "Lakeside Luxury" Tour, then either taking the train to Rome or flying back to London, then heading to the Indian Ocean. Obviously, that takes me out of Europe, but you could do the tour and then tack on your own itinerary after that. It simplifies things slightly, but you can also enjoy your own itinerary afterwards.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:56 PM

If you are flying in/out of Munich, I would recommend 2 or 3 days before you pick up the car, or after you drop off the car to spend in Munich.

For 2 weeks, you might want to consider Bavaria (including Salzburg), Switzerland, and Northern Italy. Anything else would be a hit & run vacation.

Concentrate in a couple of areas and enjoy the experience and ambiance.

The Conde Nast Tours are different from when we picked up ours. They are very expensive. I would just look at them for examples of places to go and things to do.

I would recommend not bitting off more than you can chew. Take it slow and enjoy the vacation.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:35 PM

bitting? Oh, wow.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:54 PM

Despite the "free" A/F, all DFW folks I know who have done BMW ED have said they would pay their own way and go in June - Sept.
M
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:04 PM

It's OK, Budman. Just pop another brewski and relax. What's an extra t among friends?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:27 PM

mikemo, What's this talk about free A/F? When did BMW ED offer free airfare? Am I missing something?

Rufus -- I just poured another glass of wine.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Budman: yes, 2 free airfares. I can't pass that up. Luftansa has a 2 for 1 offer and if we travel before 3/27/05, BMW picks up the tab for the one airfare!

Hopscotch: I have searched and noone is going for 2 weeks. my problem is that I don't know the weather at the end of March. We can drop the car off in several places so we don't have to fly in and out of Munich!

Thanks everyone in advance for your suggestions.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the info on the A/F. I'll be going over in Oct 2005. Hope they will still offer it.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:49 AM

We did a trip similar to this last April, went in early April so the weather would probably similar to the end of March. Mostly it was pretty cold, wear layers but really it was not too bad. I would say 2 days in Munich is enough. We also went to Salzburg, it is amazing, I think at least 2 days there (we stayed one and it wasnt enough) Then we went to Hohenschwangau, Obermmergau, Fussen, Garmish and we went in to Switzerland and spent a few days in Lucern. Lucern was my favorite place of all, and flew out of Zurich. Driving to all of these places was uneventful weather wise. A little rain, no snow. Just cold, bring clothes you can layer, warm coat, gloves, the works. We walked everywhere, hardly needed the car except to travel to each new town. It is AWESOME!! Have a great time!!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Momincy:
Now that you are intrigued by my screen name..look a bit closer and you will see my "Beemer" is the grand-daddy of your "beemer"!

I would start in Munich for 2 days.. sans car! Pick up car and head south

Do Bavaria (Garmish, Ludwig, Oberammergau, Weisschurch etc.)
Now the hard part...do you head into Northern Italy thru Innsbruck and view tha Italian Alps or do you head toward Salzburg, Hallstadt, Golling, Salt mines!) Could be some heavy snow at that time which is "Kryptonite" to Beemers!! Or it could be sunny and glorious!!!

Now back up to Rothenburg for two days and if time permits head to Rhine area for some castle time! Drop car off at Frankfurt and say Auf-Weidersen!!

John
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:35 PM

A Beemer has two wheels and no doors.

A Bimmer has four wheels and a variable number of doors.

A Beamer is a brain-dead individual with four foward white lights ablaze in clear weather in city/suburban traffic: alas, frequently driving a Bimmer.

M
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:44 PM

bitting? Budman, isn't that German ?
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM

Please excuse my hijacking this thread. I'll be brief. Momincv, could you please tell me how to find Lufthansa's 2 for 1 offer? I've read references to it in a couple of places, but a careful search of the Lufthansa website turns up nothing. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM

Just Googled <Lufthansa two for one offer> and got the link. Enjoy your trip and your new car!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:00 AM

I just posted a report about our New Years holiday in Garmisch. Do a search on Garmisch and you'll see it--Winter Wonderland, etc. Garmisch makes a very civilized base from which to explore the Bavarian Alps. It's only an hour of hour and a half from Neuschwanstein. The Ettal monastery is about 15 minutes and Linderhof is only about a half hour or less. Small towns of Oberammergau, Mittenwald and Seefeld are close by and it's only about an hour to Innsbruck too. My post has recommendations for a wonderful hotel in Garmisch and for a very nice, well located one in Munich. Enjoy.