Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Germany in April or October? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/germany-in-april-or-october-281623/)

Marie Dec 27th, 2002 08:59 AM

Germany in April or October?

I have another one of those &quot;which month should I visit&quot; inquiries, and I haven't yet seen April vs. October addressed (apologies if it has).<BR><BR>We'd like to visit Munich/Garmisch-Partenkirchen and possibly parts of Austria/Northern Italy either the first couple weeks of October 2003 or the first couple weeks of April 2004. <BR><BR>It will be my traveling companion's first trip to Europe so I'd like to make sure the weather is as accomodating as possible. While I realize the weather in Germany is iffy at best, could anyone give me their recommendations as to which month would be better, weather-wise? Do the trees still have thier leaves in early October? Has spring sprung by April in the Alps?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Mike Dec 27th, 2002 09:49 AM

Marie,<BR><BR>It's a crap shoot. We were in Munich/Salzburg in mid-September and it rained every day. We just had to make the best of it. I wanted to stay inside all day and drink beer, but I was over ruled.<BR><BR>Last year we were there in mid-June and it was hot -- in the 90's every day. Could have used A/C, but it's rare to find any in Bavaria where the temperatures rarely get that high.<BR><BR>Anyway, that is one of my favorite parts of Germany and Austria. I'm sure you will have a great time.

John Dec 27th, 2002 11:47 AM

Hi Marie,<BR><BR>I have not been there in October, but I have been in April (Northern Italy, Bavaria and Austria). It was a super time of year to go.

Jim Dec 27th, 2002 03:24 PM

I was all over southern Germany this year from October 12th - 29 and the weather was consistantly in the low to mid 50's during the day and low 40's at night. It rained some on maybe a third of the days but never all day. The weather never got in the way of plans. An umbrella and the right clothes got me through with no problem. Two years ago I went in early to mid November and temperatures were 5 to 10 degrees colder, which is why I moved to the earlier date this time.

John Dec 27th, 2002 03:46 PM

Hi Marie:<BR><BR>Been there both months. October should be beautiful, getting cold in the mountains but no snow has fallen. I went late April and it was also wonderful. There will be plenty of snow in the mountains and remnents of snow in the towns, but the weather was fine.<BR>JOHN

jjj Jan 6th, 2003 09:55 AM

Have always been to Munich end of Sept/beginning of Oct for Oktoberfest. I would recommend going to Munich during the Fest; it is a great party, accmodations are expensive and hard to find though; so this may help you make up your mind. <BR><BR>If you are going this Oct, start looking for hotels in Munich NOW!!!. We waited until March last year and had a really hard time finding one.<BR><BR>Last year the weather started off great sunny, warm etc, the day we left (sept 25?) it snowed, we went to the French Riv and were watching a weather show and they said it was the only time there was snow in Munich in Sept in the last 100 years. I think both months are a time of change in Germany so you should be prepared for anything especially if you are going into the mountains.

Shanna Jan 6th, 2003 10:44 AM

Hi, Marie. I had equisitely lovely weather year before last in late October in the area west of the Rhine, the Pfalz, which is about the same latitude as Munich - maybe a bit north. That area is the warmest in Germany during cold weather months, and was 60s during day, 40s at night. Light rain here and there, but still delightful - the tree leaves were still colorful and the grape vines were incredible colors as well. I'm always lucky with weather; my Germanic gods treat me well in that regard, although Brussels and Paris were FREEZING one year in late April. I'd opt for Italy in October if you want warmth. Higher altitudes will be colder of course, and cities are always warmer. I hope it all goes well for your friend's sake. That first trip is so fantastic - dreamy. It rained most of my first trip to Paris - but I don't remember it that way. Have fun on your trip!

Ann Jan 6th, 2003 11:10 AM

Another vote for October... the leaves will be turning, the grapes harvested, and the flower boxes still overflowing. It will be cool to cold with some rainy days, even in the mountains, but you should normally expect spectacular scenery and sunny weather. April, on the other hand, is too early for window boxes, and how can you miss those??