i am in the initial planning stages for a trip to Germany this September/October. my boyfriend and i want a laid back vacation and sightseeing trip. we have both traveled internationally, with others and solo, so we are experienced travelers. we are budget travelers and would like to keep the entire trip under $5k (well under, if possible!). my BF has never been to Germany or Austria and would like to see some of both. i'd like to revisit Strasbourg, Garmisch and Lichtenstein if possible (haven't been there since i was a kid). i also think he'd enjoy the Mosel region as well as the Black Forest. we are planning to rent a car (he wants to drive the autobahn). so my questions are:
1 - how much of Germany and the other listed countries can we see without exhausting ourselves?
2 - are there any highlights in western Germany and western Austria that shouldn't be missed, especially by a first time visitor?
3 - since he's never been to Germany, i want to be sure to hit at least one big city with a good history museum or two - which western German cities would you recommend?
4 - which airport(s) should we fly into and out of, considering the areas we want to see? for instance, is it reasonable to consider flying into MUC and out of ZUR?
i'd rather start off at a good clip and end on a slower note, if that helps. i'd also like to spend less than 2-3 hours in the car at one time. we could consider a longer day of driving if it means less driving on the other days, though. and i plan to book B&Bs for lodging.
i know this isn't all that much to go on, but i thank you for your comments and suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 2 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 3 Trenitalia - lost and found
- 4 Wierd Europe map
- 5 Where to stay for Mont Saint-Michel
- 6 Lost property at Fiumicino airport Rome
- 7 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 8 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 9 First time in Normandy & Brittany
- 10 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 11 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 12 Transportation in Brittany
- 13 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 14 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 15 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 16 Paris Apartment
- 17 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 18 Milan airport--which one
- 19 Which Area in London?
- 20 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 21 Visit to France
- 22 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 23 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 24 family trip to Germany and more
- 25 Trains - website?