Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany/Denmark...what time of year is best cost and temp wise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have narrowed our trip to Germany and Denmark! Went to Italy a few years ago in January. WE got a killer deal as it was off season. The weather in Italy was nice that time of year (especially in Rome) but will it be too cold in Germany in Jan/ Feb?? Im sure its colder then Italy. Would like to go during off season as the plan tickets seem to be cheaper but will it be way to cold to enjoy sightseeing??
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:46 AM

The short answer is "Yes, it's bloody cold in Germany and Denmark in January" but don't let that stop you. The German's have Glühwein, a hot spiced wine, to keep you warm while the Danes along with the Germans offer great mind-numbing beers to get you through the cold. Friendlier waiters, shorter lines at the tourist traps, better shopping bargains and a cozier ambience everywhere you travel make January the perfect time of year. Just dress in layers and you'll be fine.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:18 PM
hsv

Living in the area, I would advise strongly against travelling to Northern Germany or Denmark in February.
Days are short, the weather is damp. Not much snow to be expected, but cold winds and lots of rain.
April would still be off season (probably shoulder season) and would likely be nicer (although this year was pretty cool, too).
September and October are months that will still allow for some nice weather and would be much preferable to February.
The best time of year, though, would be June/July or August, but that's high season.
Please note that the above is only valid for Northern Germany and Denmark IMHO. Southern Germany might provide you with some snow and the Alps during the winter months are quite lovely.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I would advise (early) September for this part of the world (I live in Holland). August can be - and has been for the last three years - hot and sticky. But September is definitely my favorite month, weather-wise. Also, high season will be over by that time so things are less busy. Jan/Feb may or may not be very cold, but be prepared for short dark gloomy rainy days.
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:00 PM
ira

Hi ebi,

This might help you
http://tinyurl.com/aqfu7

Old May 25th, 2005, 03:41 PM

You can often get a good deal (purchasing a ticket or availability using FF miles)in December. We really enjoyed Germany in December with all the Christmas markets, gluhwein, decorations, etc. I would definitely go back in December. January and February may be a bit drab in my opinion.