Splurge hotels in Rome

Search

Splurge hotels in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Splurge hotels in Rome

My wife and I will be honeymooning in Rome this May and we would like to stay in a nice hotel for our final two nights in Rome. Currently we have reservations at Raphael Hotel, Hotel Barocco and Hotel Majestic but we haven't decided which one to stay at. Does anyone here have any first-hand experience/advice with these hotels?

Thanks very much.

Paul S.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hotel Raphael is great, covered in Ivy, and is in an ideal location right off of Piazza Navona.

The Hassler is right at the top of the Spanish Steps and is just a short walk from the Borghese Gardens. I like to get drunk here and then be driven to Brioni to spend my inheritance on silk handkerchiefs.

The most fabulous hotel in Rome, however, is the de Russie. Don't stay here unless you have spectacular luggage from Louis Vuitton or T Anthony or you will feel out of place--like a scholarship student at Choate.

The St Regis Grand is palatial, but it is a Starwood hotel so you have some people staying on points and they tend to be the tedious tacky sort. Certainly none of the Beracasas, although I think Veronica is either in bankruptcy or near death now.

I saw a butler on an elevator for guests once at the St. Regis Grand. You would never see that sort of thing at the Connaught. Dreadful!

Thin

Thin
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 02:50 PM

Someone who makes reservations at 3 hotels for the same time period is not someone whom I would choose to offer advice to.

Pepper, perhaps the stairs were being repaired or something. I've never seen 'help' using the elevator at the St. Regis when I have stayed there.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pepper. Have any familiarity with the Majestic or Barocco?
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Majestic is on the Via Veneto.

I am not a fan of the Via Veneto; its heyday was 1964.

Thin