Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

14 days trip to Eastern Europe ---a road less travelled

Old May 9th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there -----first of all thanks to Fodorites for giving awesome tips thelping us plan our western europe vacations. My wife never believed online friends can be so helpful until we actually came back from a lovley trip.

Me and my wife are planning a trip to East Europe starting from Kiev. We intend to cover Kiev , Warsw, Karakow, Budapest and Prague. We would like to take your advice on the following:

Does this cover all key cities in East Europe? We were planning Vienna but dropped it.
How many days should be spent in each city?
How much will be the average traveling time between the cities and what should be the best route? Is train travel recommended or should we take a plane.
What are the approximate traveling/ boarding costs of the trip?
Where we can find a great beach?

Thanks and cheers
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:05 AM

I think you're trying to cover too much in 14 days.

Last year I spent 3 days in Krakow and didn't see enough of the city so I'm going back this year for 5 days (spending 14 days in Poland). Prague deserves 4 or 5 days and Budapest about 3 days. That takes care of your trip!

You can take a train between Krakow and Warsaw (there are fast trains). Getting out of Krakow by train to any place else is a bit difficult since all the trains are slow - making many stops. Budapest and Prague are about 7 hours apart by train.

Costs in Prague, Budapest, and Krakow are very inexpensive by western standards (depending on where you live).

Click on my name to find my trip report from last year - I've given costs for Prague and Krakow.
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would drop Warsaw and Lviv. You can take the train from Kiev to Lviv and on to Krakow. Are you sure you just want to do cities? I took buses up to Zakopane and on into Slovakia through the Tatra mountains. For train schedules see bahn.de, for cheap flights see whichbudget.com.

Vienna is usually considered to be in Central rather than Eastern Europe, but is a wonderful city. However, Eastern Europe could be considered to include the Baltics in the north, and Romania, Bulgaria and the Balkans in the south, so you're only scratching the surface.
Old May 31st, 2011, 02:52 AM

I think that for Krakow You need at least 5 days. If u will visit this amazing city, You definitely must see Castle, Old Town, Kazimierz District, Museums and much more places that I didn't mentioned but they also worth to see.