Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany Alpenstrasse or Austrian Alps route better?

Jul 10th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

I will be travelling from Salzburg to Munich. I only have 2-3 days and am not sure which route to take.

Are the alps along Germany's Alpenstrasse highway very impressive? One of my goals is to show my mother a good representation of the alps on her first trip to the region.

Of the two routes which town is best for a 1-2 night stopover?

Thanks!
Jul 11th, 2007, 02:40 AM
ira

Hi E,

What do you mean by "Austrian Alps route"?

Jul 11th, 2007, 04:10 AM

>Are the alps along Germany's Alpenstrasse highway very impressive?<

No, not in my opinion. You should drop down, south and west, into Austria (Kitzbuhel, etc) before heading northward up to Munich.
Jul 11th, 2007, 06:44 AM

The Alps don't REALLY begin until you get into Austria, so there's your answer.

I've been skiing in the Arlberg region, which is stunning! Haven't visited in summer, so I can't advise on a good stopover town. I hear Zell am See is nice...
Jul 11th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips so far folks.

I'd appreciate any specific recommendations for a route from Salzburg to Munich through the Austrian alps (remembering that I only have 2-3 days).
Jul 11th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Depending on how long you want to take to get to Munich I would head over to Bertschesgaden then on to Garmish (take the cable car up the Zugspitze) then you can side trip to Mittenwald or go straight on to Oberammergau, Ettal Monastary, Linderhoff, Wiessekirche and on to Fussen for Neuschwanstein. Good overnights in my opionion would be Mittenwald, Oberammergau and/or Fussen. They whole trip is a little bit over 100 miles from Salzburg to Fussen so you have time to stop and smell the Eidelweiss.
Jul 11th, 2007, 03:56 PM

I beg to differ with some of the other comments.

The route Salzburg - Berchtesgaden (via the Gerna B-305)and then continued on the B-305 (which is a section of the Deutsche Alpenstrasse) is very scenic and pleasant to drive. When you reach Schneizlreuth on the B-305(the B-305 makes a sharp right turn),continue straighttoward Lofer on the Austrian B-312 and then to Saalfelden, Zell am See on the B-311. Spend the night there, but before you tunr in, take the Grossglocknerstrasse (toll road) to the top and return to Zell am See. If that is too much alpine driving, go instead from Zell Am See to Kaprun and get the train/lift to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier. Either site is about as impressive as it can get.

The next day, drive on the Austrian B-168 to Mittersill, from there take B-165 (in part a toll road) across the Gerlospass to Zell am Ziller (in the Ziller valley)

From there take the B-169 north to Jenbach, and the B-181 along the Achensee (lake) to the German B-307 to Rottach-Egern at the Tegernsee (lake) and on to the Autobahn A-8 (the Salzburg-Munich autobahn)

I have driven these routes many times and they are good and through very scenic alpine countryside.

Besides, the distances are not such that you will only spend time in your car and have no time to enjoy the scenery
Jul 11th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Hi,
I also think the Berchtesgaden area is very worthwhile. An altenative I would suggest if you have 2 nights is...follow treplow's direction to Lofer (to lazy to rewrite, sorry), then take 178 towards Worgl where you get 171 towards Innsbruck. I'd stay in either Hall in Tirol or Mittenwald (both are beautiful old towns with fantastic Alp backdrops). From there head towards Fussen, over the Fern Pass(beautiful scenery along the way) and spend a night in Fussen.

From Fussen to Munich, see Wieskirche (gorgeous interior!) and then take a break at Andech's Monestary, see another beautiful church there and have lunch in their beer garden, all amidst beautiful Bavarian scenery.

In my opinion, this route would give you good alpine scenery at a relatively leisurely pace, with time to stop along the way.

Paul